SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Which Rokinons to buy for my FS7

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Brien
Which Rokinons to buy for my FS7
on Aug 13, 2018 at 12:16:10 pm

Since the Super35 sensor has a 1.5X crop factor on full frame lenses, for my FS7, I am wondering if I should buy:

1) A set of APS-C/Super35 lenses with a Sony e mount
2) A set of full frame lenses with Sony e mount and just deal with the crop factor
3) A set of full frame lenses with Canon EF mount, and use my Metabones Sppedbooster (EF to E) which will not only adjust for the crop factor, but will also add a stop of light.

From a quality standpoint, which do you think is the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

CAMERAS
Sony FS7
Sony EX3

EDITING
Adobe CC
iMac 5K-32Gb RAM
8-core MacPro-32Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Which Rokinons to buy for my FS7
on Aug 13, 2018 at 4:30:22 pm

If you're going to use them exclusively with the FS7, and plan to stay with Super-35 Sony in the future, get the APS-C E-mount lenses. If you'd like them to be usable cross-platform, get the full-frame EF versions; EF is becoming a pretty universal standard mount because it's easily adaptable to a variety of mounts. E-mount is not adaptable to anything. Then you can get a focal reducer for your FS7 and get a little more speed out of the lenses. Quality-wise, I don't think you'll see much of a difference (you theoretically might get a little softness on a focal reducer but not enough to notice). In your case, the more pressing question is the adaptability of the system.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
Re: Which Rokinons to buy for my FS7
on Aug 14, 2018 at 10:26:45 pm

Thanks, Blaise. Good advice.

CAMERAS
Sony FS7
Sony EX3

EDITING
Adobe CC
iMac 5K-32Gb RAM
8-core MacPro-32Gb RAM