SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

FS7 recording an occasional glitch - any thoughts?

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Brien
FS7 recording an occasional glitch - any thoughts?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 11:05:46 pm

Every now and then, my FS7 records a glitch in a shot. This has happened on multiple cards. I am using Sony XQD G-Series cards.

12564_glitch011069.jpg.zip

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: FS7 recording an occasional glitch - any thoughts?
on Jul 19, 2018 at 3:25:30 pm

For half a second, I thought "A black spot AND vertical tearing? Bummer of a glitch." An then I figured it out...

Can you post a little more info? What mode are you in, what codec, framerate, and resolution? What's the bitrate of the G-series cards you're using?

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jul 19, 2018 at 4:41:46 pm
Last Edited By Bob O'Brien on Jul 19, 2018 at 5:13:32 pm

LOL - I probably should have mentioned that I blocked off the actor's face!

I am shooting in Custom mode, UHD at 29.97. The Sony G-Series cards say that they are rated at 400MB/s Write, and 440MB/s Read. They are the 128Gb cards. I have three cards, and think I have this issue with all three, but cannot be sure (2 of them for sure).

Also, in looking for a solution, I realized that my camera's Firmware was still at 3.1. I just updated it to the latest, 4.3.

CAMERAS
Sony FS7
Sony EX3

EDITING
Adobe CC
iMac 5K-32Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 20, 2018 at 8:34:47 pm

The cards should be plenty fast for that--even in XAVC-I, the data rate for that format is 300 Mbps, so it *shouldn't* be a write error. But of course, it could be.

When you delete data from these cards, are you formatting them in the camera, or just deleting it from the computer? I've found with some cameras that can cause issues if you haven't formatted the cards in-camera.

And of course, that firmware update may help. Any other situations where this happens regularly? A certain time into shooting?

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jul 26, 2018 at 1:36:39 pm

Blaise,

I appreciate your time responding to my post!

ANSWERS: I format the cards in the camera only. The firmware update did not solve my issue.

At the moment, this problem continues. I spoke with a large Chicago rental company, and they have never seen this problem. I'm sending it in to Sony for diagnosis and repair.

TEMP SOLUTION: In the meantime, I rented an Atomos Shogun for a my latest shoot - by-passing the internal recording problems. The HDMI outputs 4K, and the ProRes HQ footage from the Shogun is clean and looks great. This is a temporary solution for anyone having the problems I am having.

Bob

CAMERAS
Sony FS7
Sony EX3

EDITING
Adobe CC
iMac 5K-32Gb RAM
8-core MacPro-32Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Andrew Mellows
on Jun 2, 2019 at 8:41:01 pm

I have been using four EX-3 cameras for several years for theatrical recordings. We edit in post and frequently get glitches after (but not at) file transitions. The really frustrating part of this is that in FCP7 the glitches do not show up in the timeline. They only appear after rendering to an mov file or to a Blu-Ray. I am in the process of updating the firmware in the cameras to 1.30, hoping this will make a difference.

The only way I have found to fix this is to take the original Sony material and convert to Pro Res HQ and insert a replacement for each of the clips that contain the glitches. Since the Pro Res conversion completely changes the gamma of the clip this requires careful color correction so it is a long tedious process.

I would appreciate any help!

Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]