SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

FS7 audio input levels not responding

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Barry
FS7 audio input levels not responding
on Jul 16, 2018 at 8:17:27 pm

hey all,

I have a little bug here and was hoping someone might have some insight before I reset to factory settings...

I have a 3 year old FS7 Mk1, never had trouble with it, but a few days ago I noticed (or rather, the sound man noticed...) that the audio level knobs on the side of the camera no longer seem to do anything in MANUAL mode. If I have Audio Channel 1 to receive from Input 1 (shotgun mic) and Audio Channel 2 set to receive from Internal Mic and the input levels set to Manual on the side of the camera, it doesn't matter whether they're set to "10" or to "0", they have no effect on the incoming audio levels for either. In fact, both can be set to "0" and audio levels will be loud and clear.

In "Automatic" mode, however, audio levels are adjusted automatically, as expected. I'm not sure if there is some setting somewhere that accidentally was set that affected this? Anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: FS7 audio input levels not responding
on Jul 16, 2018 at 10:18:50 pm

I haven't experienced this before, but have you verified that the levels aren't changing by looking at the VU meters, or that it sounds different on your headphones? I believe the FS7 can separate headphone levels from input levels in the audio menus. It would be worth a deep dive into the audio menu to see what you can find--my camera isn't right in front of me, but I would bet that there's some setting that got flipped that's causing that.

Return to posts index

Patrick Barry
on Jul 17, 2018 at 12:00:13 am

hey Blaise, you were right. Got this message on the FS7 facebook group: "Check your menu for how levels are set. There are three settings Level, Side, and Level+Side. Check that you only have Side set. I bet you have Level selected, which only adjust the audio gain by the menu level setting."

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 17, 2018 at 5:01:08 pm

Hah, well, if being right means that I can waltz in and say "I bet there's a menu setting for that," then you're going to see me being right a LOT more often ☺ I'm glad someone more specific than me could help you track it down!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]