ADOBE INDESIGN: InDesign Forum InDesign Tutorials

problem on positioning (open type feature)

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Symeon Monk
problem on positioning (open type feature)
on Jan 10, 2019 at 6:44:14 am

I have made a pair adjustment on my opentype font in MsVOLT. The first character of the pair is raised. Everything is working fine, unless this pair is at the beginning of a line. In this case, not the first character is raised, but the second and ALL the next untill the end of the line come down!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: problem on positioning (open type feature)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 4:25:24 pm

MsVOLT... never heard of it before. The first two letters are already suspect. I've edited font in a couple of different font design software (Fontographer, FontLab), the only problem that I've encountered has been conflicting font ID numbers.

Did you try if it works in other software than InDesign or did this program mess the font up for every program? Such as MsWORD, or Illustrator, etc.

I (somewhat preconceivedly) expect MsVOLT to be the issue, not InDesign.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Symeon Monk
on Jan 12, 2019 at 6:46:44 am

Please, try the attached font. It is a small part of a byzantine music font.

Try the 2 characters | and s. See in the attached indd file (and the pdf) the second line. Instead of raising the 1st, the 2nd character is going down! In the 3rd line, where the | is not at the beginning, there is no problem.

13024_ccschourmapostolostest.ttf.zip
13023_testbug.pdf.zip
13022_testbug.indd.zip

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 12, 2019 at 8:54:20 am

Switching from metrics to optical kerning fixes the issue, although I don't know if the result looks like you want it to, in terms of where the characters are located in relation to each other.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Symeon Monk
on Jan 12, 2019 at 9:00:07 am

Oh, I need the Metrics option. The entire font has hundred of such kerning settings!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 13, 2019 at 9:04:15 am

Other than doing the fix in another font editing software, which would be a more permanent solution and which I would suggest, there is a temporary "easy fix", which is to use the original font but make a character format with suitable baseline offset and/or kerning values for that one letter and then use a search and replace to assign the character format to that letter in one go. Obviously you would have to do remember to do this every time, so it is not ideal.

Looks like Fontographer and Fontlab are both owner by Fontlab these days. Those are the two best font editing software that I know of. Kinda pricey though.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Symeon Monk
on Jan 13, 2019 at 10:47:35 am

The Fontlab software is indeed unique for constructing a font. But for adjusting the open type features, VOLT is light years ahead! It is just irreplaceable.

So, there is no genuine solution for this case? Is it a bug in fact?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 13, 2019 at 4:36:01 pm

This is going to be guessing, since I don't know what MsVOLT does, but one thing that does seem unusual is that the font is a TTF font while you're using OTF features. Have you tried saving the font as OTF? Maybe that confuses InDesign?

MsWord doesn't recognize this as an opentype font and I can't get your modifications to even show up there regardless of it being a Microsoft piece of software. That's kinda fishy, isn't it?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]