FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost my monitoring in Final Cut

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Lost my monitoring in Final Cut
on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:54:02 pm

Hey there,

I've had a Blackmagic DeckLink HDPRO(Dual Link) PCIe installed on my Mac for some time now. Also a HDLink that feeds from it to a separate monitor via HDMI.

Basically, a technician set it all for me so I can see full-rez HD whilst I work mostly in Final Cut and After Effects. Which I've been doing no problem, without any changes, for over a year.

The other day, however, I needed to switch my Audio/Video settings to DV Pal resolution for a short project - during which I lost access to the monitor. It didn't worry me as I figured the Blackmagic card must be 'all set up for HD'. I finished the project and switched everything back to the original HD settings... but no monitoring.

I've double-checked everything again and again but I can't seem to get the monitor back in Final Cut. It's definitely not the card, as I can still monitor in AE or using the Blackmagic Deck Control. Just can't get it back in Final Cut.

My settings were for DVCPRO HD - 1080i50. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this has happened and how I can fix it? Would help so much.

Thanks kindly,

ALEX

PS - I ain't a technical guy! Pretend I'm a ten year old :)

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
Re: Lost my monitoring in Final Cut
on Jul 31, 2008 at 2:56:27 pm

Hi Alex

Do not despair! It is hopefully something as simple as the settings do not match on your sequence for your BMD card to output. When you change sequence settings, they do not apply retroactively to existing sequences.

The best way to manage your settings when changing between different formats, within the same project, is to use the Easy Setups. The Blackmagic Easy Setups, installed with our driver, automatically configure your Audio and Video settings to work with the Blackmagic card.

The quickest way to test that your output works in Final Cut Pro, is to choose a new easy setup. So go to Final Cut Pro>>Easy setup. From the list, choose a Blackmagic setup that matches the footage you wish to use. (So in this case, Blackmagic HDTV 1080i50 - DVCpro). Now create a new sequence (easy setups do not apply retroactively to existing sequences.)

Now import one of your DVCPro 1080i50 clips into FCP, and drop it onto your new sequence timeline. Hopefully, you should now be seeing output through your HD Pro DL PCIe card to your screens.

If you go to Final Cut Pro>>Audio/Video settings, you will see here that nearly everything is Blackmagic 1080i 25 Mhz, which matches the footage you wish to use. If you were changing settings manually, they all need to be Blackamgic XXXXX where X is the footage you are working with.

If you still have no output, check your connections are still good, and that the HDLink is on etc.

Hopefully, this should all work, and your output should be back!!

Callum McLay
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Jul 31, 2008 at 4:36:01 pm

Hey Callum,

Thanks for the excellent information. Went through the process you described and got my monitor back.

You rock!

Very much appreciated,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
on Jul 31, 2008 at 6:29:10 pm

Hi Alex

You're most welcome, I hope you enjoy using your Blackmagic card!!

Callum McLay
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]