FORUMS: list search recent posts

6.2 drivers: 2 gig limit still there!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Kofler
6.2 drivers: 2 gig limit still there!
on May 18, 2007 at 2:24:01 pm

Hi guys,

6 months ago we bought new Mac Pro with lots of RAM (6GB) and a bmd decklink sp(pci e)(lots of renderings, not only video editing in sd). And after half a year of waiting I still cannot use all the ram I have because the mac freezes with FCS. This is incredible! I was waiting for this driver update, because it was said it would solve the 2 GB RAM limit problem. But no!! It is still there, my mac just freezed and I'm quite angry! Now I switch to my fire wire device to have an interface!

Tell the marketing guys at bmd that they are to much into this HD hype going to loose sd clients!

Patrick

Return to posts index

Mike_P
Re: 6.2 drivers: 2 gig limit still there!
on May 18, 2007 at 4:31:46 pm

I'm with you Patrick. I'm getting tired of the "will be addressed in a future release" mumbo jumbo. Depending on who you speak with at Blackmagic it will either "be in the next release" or "It probably won't get fixed" (Someone actually told me that). I've got 4GB of perfectly good RAM just sitting on my shelf gathering dust. With AE CS3 coming out & it's multiprocessing RAM requirements I'm going to need to find another solution and it will probably be from AJA. It's a little more expensive but I haven't heard too many complaints. I would have bought the Extreme HD had the problem been pointed out in their System Reqs, but now I'm stuck with $2,700(I have 3) of nearly useless cards.

Return to posts index

racer162
on May 18, 2007 at 4:52:50 pm

Yeah this is a known BMD issue. I have had several clients tht had that same problem Patrick. The best thing I can sugest is AJA and the Kona-Lhe or the Kona3 depending on your workflow

Life Begins at 155mph
Catch it edite it View it

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on May 19, 2007 at 6:06:48 am

Hi Patrick,

The 2 GB fix for the standard definition PCIe cards will be included in a driver update within the next week. It was going to be included in the DeckLink 6.2 drivers but then Final Cut Studio 2 shipped earlier than scheduled so we had to defer the fix until after this release. We really want that issue to be solved so that's why we'll have another driver update within the next week and not wait for a month which is our usual driver cycle.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: 6.2 drivers: 2 gig limit and even ETT
on May 19, 2007 at 8:40:14 am

I hope the ETT not being accurate will also get looked into.

Neil

FCP Editor, Mumbai, India.
Completely PAL.

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on May 19, 2007 at 8:31:35 pm

I am in with you there.. I really need to have this fixed, or we will have to change to AJA

Anders

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 20, 2007 at 10:56:21 pm

I second that emotion. The edit inaccuracy is a big problem.. close to a deal breaker.

thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Patrick Kofler
on May 19, 2007 at 12:25:58 pm

Hi Luke,

ok then! But why do we have to get disappointed before you (BMD) tell us? This way it's going to get not only a technical problem , but also a communication problem.
I really believed I had to wait another month at least!

Patrick

Return to posts index

racer162
on May 19, 2007 at 9:54:49 pm

Guys
black magic has been saying they will fix this for a while. and still Nothing. you want relaibility and qualith without a ram qualification issue use AJA the LHe or KONA 3 ir if you want an IO in july get thje new IOHD

Return to posts index

Gmog535
on May 19, 2007 at 10:58:05 pm

Im tired and disappoint with all this 2 gig limit... Im thinking to get AJA KONA next week... Good Bye BMD.

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on May 20, 2007 at 1:49:40 pm

I agree with this. It's one thing for the products to have limitations; but when that limit is not even mentioned, it's a big problem.

Personally I think BMD should be accountable for this lack of information, and should offer to swap out these customers SD cards for HD ones so they can get on with their work (how abou t an upgrade program?).

I can hardly imagine configuring a new Mac Pro as a professional workstation and choosing to install only 2GB of RAM, except when hamstrung by this kind of problem. These machines support up to 16GB for a reason, and as we are all waiting for Leopard to allow FCP to address more than the current 4GB per application limit (a trend also obviously being pushed by FCS 2 and Adobe CS3 for that mater) the time for resolving this 2GB thing is WAY overdue.

Sorry BMD you really dropped the ball on that one. Shame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]