FORUMS: list search recent posts

The future- 4K capture with Decklink?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Brown
The future- 4K capture with Decklink?
on Sep 30, 2006 at 11:47:03 pm

Hi There

With an eye to the future and new HD cameras offering 4K+ capture, are BMD looking into this for next generation Decklink cards?

Technically, how big a jump is this for you in comparison to 2K?

New wavelet codecs are offering the promise of 4K rez at data rates of around 28MB/s, so perhaps with some hardware help this may be a realistic proposition for realtime editing without need to software transcode everything? (codecs from Red + Cineform)

At the moment we're looking into possible workflow scenarios for a 4K material and would love to have some input from BMD R & D on how they see the next few years panning out. For example can HDSDI handle this resolution or are we looking at next gen HDMI i/o or similar?

Also...been hearing rumours about a new "High End" version of FCP from Apple that is aimed at 2K/4K arena - anyone heard anything further on this?

Scott

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: The future- 4K capture with Decklink?
on Oct 1, 2006 at 1:00:25 am

You know that FCP does 2K already?

And we get told off on here for rumours :)

Peter

ps will be in Aberdeen for the BBC snooker if you fancy a pint

Free Motion Templates

peterwiggins.com

Return to posts index

Scott Brown
on Oct 1, 2006 at 11:13:11 am

A pint sounds good! We have a few good watering holes in Aberdeen - drop me an e-mail and let me know when you're in town.

Re. FCP I'm aware that 2K is now posible, however we're seriously looking at going for one of the new Red cameras (http://www.red.com). The footage at IBC was stunning, however the workflow looks worryingly slow and clumsy at present. The camera doesn't ship until next May, so Moores law should assist on the technology front and by then the workflow will hopefully be a little faster...

My real query here is to find out from the BMD R & D team, what he challenges are from their point of view in terms of realtime capture of 4K data streams. I have yet to see 4K footage encoded at 28 MB/s, however I hear on the grapevine thatpicture quality holds up well.

Thoughts from the cows?

Scott

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 1, 2006 at 4:55:53 pm

Not wanting to redirect anybody away to another board, but here:-

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/

Is where most of the chat re RED is happening, don't know why there isn't a RED forum on the Cow here really.

FYI I'm in Aberdeen 19th to 29th Oct - will give you an email

Peter

Free Motion Templates

peterwiggins.com

Return to posts index

Scott Brown
on Oct 1, 2006 at 9:57:14 pm

Thanks Peter

Look forward to that pint...or two!

Scott

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Oct 1, 2006 at 11:54:46 pm

Quality at 28MB/s looks superb, and I should know :-) I wouldn't let it look anything less than gob-smacking. However, it's a totally data-centric workflow, so no capture card is needed, or will offer any benefit to the workflow. There's no standards like SDI for 4k anyway.

As for workflow, it's being worked on, and I think you'll be happy with what we come up with.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Scott Brown
on Oct 3, 2006 at 9:02:39 am

Hi Graeme

Many thanks for your response and it was good to meet you briefly at IBC. We had a bit of a flying visit this year, so I didn't really get a chance to pick your brain too much on the Red post production workflow.

I can get my head around the Red workflow for people who are used to shooting on film - instead of the traditional telecine route, you use software to bring in your footage and prepare this for edit. Now, this is NOT going to be a realtime process as far as I can see and this is where I start to get a little concerned. For commercials/promos etc this isn't a big deal, however we tend to work on long form projects and I'm trying to figure out how we can get the Red workflkow to "work" for us, especially if we are shooting overseas on projects where it won't be easy or even possible to ingest footage. Hence my thinking about a relatime capture card that would "render" the software process obsolete.

With current technology, is 4K real time ingest possible? It would make life so much easier if we could use a Decklink or Kona card to bring in footage, however I do appreciate that you are busy working on the Red workflow at the moment and I do have every faith in your abilitie individually and collectively within the company to pull this off.

I have NO problem with a longer online process, however we need a quick and painless offline workflow that will make using this camera viable for us as a company.

Quality is extremely important to me as a creative person, however when I put my business hat on, the workflow becomes REALLY important and I then start to work on the basis that if HDCAM or DVC PRO HD or HD XDCAM is good enough for the likes of Discovery etc, then it is good enough for me. That said the Red footage was stunning and the creative me often get's the better of business me :)

Best wishes

Scott

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Oct 6, 2006 at 11:55:43 pm

A new revision of SDI is currently being developed by IC manufaturers. Just like HD-SDI upped the capability HD and dual-channel HD-SDI upped it to 4:4:4 1080p, the new form of SDI will allow 4k and beyond. I forget what it's called. I'll post a link to an article if I see it again.

Return to posts index

Ranchhod patel
on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:55:53 pm

i bn thinkin abt putting sony F35 in to HDD direct and bn looking or real time 4 K capture card.

does any one hv any info abt this ?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]