FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM source material on a BMD decklink SD FCP/AE system

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
linkoping skrills
HDCAM source material on a BMD decklink SD FCP/AE system
on Dec 28, 2005 at 7:32:57 pm

hey im doing my first spot originated in full HD for broadcast. have a decklink Sp and a firmtek sata 2 drive raid. was thinking about working in DVCPRO HD or uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2. have a few questions

1- would a dump down to beta be a huge compromise in quality over digibeta, in terms of the image quality in the capture. I know its a shame not to go HD the whole way but system wise thats out of the question. I need this set-up to work. I have access to a beta SP, which is why i have been using the decklink SP that I have.

2-I guess the HD will have to be transferred to some format, would a dvcpro HD deck be less to rent than a digibeta?

3-should I call around and see if there are any post houses that could do the capture for me and then just transfer it to my system via FW drive.

4- in general when is the best part of the workflow to go from HD to SD, since this is purely an SD project in delivery.

any help, i would greatly appreciate. this forum has been great. hope everyone has a great '06

my system
G5 dual 2.0 (3gb of ram)
Decklink SP
Firmtek 2 drive SATA enclosure RAID 0
and a bunch of gear non related to the issues at hand.

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
Re: HDCAM source material on a BMD decklink SD FCP/AE system
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:01:31 am

Some of the choices depend on the type of work you're going to be doing on the images. Chromakeying? Best done at HD res. Motion tracking? Same.

1. Yes, I consider Beta SP to be a serious compromise in quality compared to digibeta. If you're going to have to downconvert, at least keep your image in the digital realm.

2. An HD1200 DVCProHD deck usually rents a little cheaper than a DigiBeta deck. But they're in the same ballpark.

3. Depending on the amount of source material, you could ask for an estimate on transfering all the material. But I think you'd probably be best off transfering to DVCProHD and renting the 1200 deck.

4. Like I said earlier, it depends on what you are going to do to the images in post. Sometimes, even when the final delivery is on SD, having the extra resolution in post really helps. And sometimes it really doesn't make much of a difference. That said: the DVCProHD format really is an amazing image quality for the datarate it uses. And FCP supports it well. So I'd probably go with doing post in DVCProHD, and then downconverting to SD in the end.

Hope this helps.

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:27:00 pm

thanks
what would you say would be the best way to junp back to SD from the DVCPROHD timeline? would it just be a QT export out of final cut to an anamorphic 10 bit file?

also, for anyone else out there with their own home edit suite, is renting higher end decks just part of the equation? also on deliverables, we have comcast out here, and it seems like for local stuff, which is my bread and butter, always seems to degrade a notch. do the national spots have a completely different deliverables system?

anyway, thanks again

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:53:29 pm

I'd export to an SD Quicktime from the HD timeline, yes. What format do you need to deliver in?

As for the image quality of local broadcasters... There's a lot of circuitry between the tape you deliver and final playout. They might even bounce to Beta SP before playout.

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Dec 29, 2005 at 9:22:23 pm

usually we deliver in beta SP, which is why i have the decklink SP. for this particularly, I'm all about making this spot as clean looking as possible. thanks for always having good input. cheers

Return to posts index

Bill Crawford
on Dec 31, 2005 at 12:31:00 am

One thing to consider, is to contract with a local facility to capture the material for you in HD and place it on your drive of choice to edit on your system locally. Then when done, you can take the drive back and have them output to tape. This is something pretty easy to do as many more full up edit facilities are using FCP, and BM cards. If you are worried about competitors, you can look to a nearby city and go with a non-competive facility.

All in all it can be cheaper than renting a deck.

Bill

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Jan 2, 2006 at 8:29:45 am

thats the plan for the output. my issue is this system will handle 10bit SD and DVCPRO HD, on a firmtek 2 drive SATA raided enclosure, getting around 125mb sec MAX. from what I gather from sites like barefeats.com, HDCAM has some hardcore data rate issues requiring a huge raid. doing the file transfer method is looking good for finishing SDI out to an HDCAM and digibeta master at a facility. the rate for this is 250 an hour here in seattle, but that works for outputting commercials.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]