FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow question for dv footage with uncompressed graphics

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Leonard
workflow question for dv footage with uncompressed graphics
on Jun 27, 2005 at 4:17:05 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm an ex-Avid edior new to Final Cut and am having some issues with sequence and export settings, I'm working with PAL DV footage in PAL DV sequences and have been testing importing these into 8 bit sequences to add tiles and render the colour correction uncompressed. (final delievery will be on DVD).
Throughout my project I have all sequence and export settings lower field first however when I play back the rendered 8bit lower field sequence the output from the decklink strobes with what looks like a field order issue. I've tried exporting a quicktime movie and quicktime conversion with custom setting the export to 8bit with lower field first however the resulting file when imported back into Final Cut is upper field first.
The workaround I've been using is to add the 'shift fields' effect on the imported file and everything looks fine however this requires rendering I'd like to avoid. Is this to do with the decklink being natively 'upper field first'? or does anyone else have workflow recommendations?
thanks in advance ...James

G5 2.7
FCP5,Tiger,BM5.0B4
5G Ram
Decklink Extreme

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
Re: workflow question for dv footage with uncompressed graphics
on Jun 27, 2005 at 4:32:50 pm

PAL or NTSC?

Return to posts index

James Leonard
on Jun 28, 2005 at 7:54:03 am

Hi Francois,
PAL DV with graphics as Targa's.
From what I've read in the manual and on forums the way to do this is to edit the DV footage in a DV sequence then bring this sequence into a new 8 bit sequnece and add the titles there. I'm just re-reading the manual now but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
thanks James

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Jun 29, 2005 at 11:12:33 am

We work in PAL DV and uncompressed all the time.

Targa sequences must be rendered with upper field first. Use quicktime pro to convert to quicktime: DV codec for use in DV sequences ; Uncompressed 8 bit for uncompressed sequences and animation of you want an alpha channel.

You can edit in a DV (lower first) or uncompressed timeline (upper first) in FCP.

If you have a stobing kind of look on still targe files, it could be that your horisontal lines or other detail is too thin - apply a half-pixel vertical blur to fix, or use a thicker font... White levels that is too high could also cause this - set to max 244; or even oversaturation as well.

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

shane13
on Jul 4, 2005 at 7:29:55 pm

I love the oversaturation suggestion, nice one. I would usually start a new thread, but my question is almost answered here...so here is goes... i'm working with uncompressed footage (FCP 4.5, blackmagic 10bit Uncompressed) and i have to deliver on Mini-DV. I've tried exporting the finished timeline out with "export with conversion" and when i reimport into a dv timeline to run off to the DV deck via firewire, i get tons of banding in the fades and such. I know there will be some...but is there a blackmagic codec or trick, to reduce this banding in DV?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]