FORUMS: list search recent posts

calibrating a non-professional HD monitor

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
colourblind
calibrating a non-professional HD monitor
on Apr 1, 2005 at 10:22:24 am

Hi guys.

We're using Philips Brilliance 230 W 24 inch monitor for our HD projects. All projects are now at the very start but soon enough post production work will begin and I have to tackle this calibrating thing. Since the monitor is not intendet for professional monitoring it doesn't have any setting like blue only for example. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a way / typical workflow for calibrating a non-professional monitor.

Thanks,
colourblind

Return to posts index

Kevin Taylor
Re: calibrating a non-professional HD monitor
on Apr 1, 2005 at 3:58:43 pm

Take the path that most home theater people do and hire an ISF Certified person to calibrate it for you ($200 or more) or buy yourself the "Digital Video Essentials"DVD ($20) from Amazon and run through the tutorials. There are other discs as well but I know that one ships with a blue filter that you can hold up to your eyes to simulate the "blue gun only" feature on production monitors. Also, many THX certified DVDs have a section called the THX Optimizer that contains some test patterns and such for setting brightness, contrast, etc. But without the blue filter it becomes impossible to set the Hue using SMPTE bars.

Kevin Taylor
The Malabar Front
Atlanta Georgia
http://www.malabarfront.com

Return to posts index

Dalen Quaice
on Apr 1, 2005 at 4:58:13 pm

What you'll need is either a Wratten 47B Blue or a Rosco's #80 primary blue filter - hold this in front of the monitor and make the necessary adjustments while displaying bars.

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Apr 2, 2005 at 11:45:45 am

Thanks guys. You know... I was thinking of a solution as a sort of workaround. I would take a set of hidef bars, bring them to Photoshop reset the saturation to 0 or transforming them to plain black & white. Then, I would add the bars in After Effects for instance and on top of that add a pure 255 blue layer.
What do you think?

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Apr 2, 2005 at 6:48:35 pm

De-saturating bars in Pshop would not help. You need the color to get to the picture tube, and have it removed -after- the signal gets to the monitor. The blue filter mentioned works just fine.

-jeff

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Apr 3, 2005 at 10:13:39 am

Ok. Many thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

boioboi
on Apr 2, 2005 at 11:47:27 am

Hi, I'm very interested in this topic although I'm working in standard definition and using an older 14'' Sony Pro Monitor. As I'm a student I can't afford a technician to calibrate my monitor. I would be happy if you could give some links to tutorials how to calibrate this monitor especially regarding this "blue only" feature.
thx a lot.

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Apr 2, 2005 at 12:27:04 pm

Well, AFAIK, as far as you don't experience serious calibration problems with your monitor you really don't need a technician, and as far as you know some basic rules (which I myself often forget by the way) you should have no trouble eyeballing your monitor. And you also happen to own a PRO monitor which is far better. Here's a link I recently discovered to what I think is a pretty comprehensive explanation of the calibration process. Hope this helps.

Holly crap... I just noticed how many (as far as's) I used in this post. I should really brush up on my communication skills. Damn... :D

Return to posts index

boioboi
on Apr 2, 2005 at 12:51:28 pm

Hi colourblind.
Thx for trying to help. Don't get to worried about your communictaion skills they are fine but maybe about your speed of typing ;) Sorry, didn't see the link you mentioned in your last post.

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Apr 2, 2005 at 1:01:45 pm

About the freakin' typos. Well... I speak fast and I type fast... perhaps I would be best suited for a secreatary job rather than an editing one. :D But, typos are not my fault, it's this damn Logitech keyboard which, as I stated on another forum seems to have all the keys shifted half an inch to the left... or perhaps it was supposed to be sold in Korea. :D

Return to posts index

boioboi
on Apr 2, 2005 at 1:13:21 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean typos I just asked if you could add the link to the tutorial you mentioned :D

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Apr 2, 2005 at 1:27:59 pm

Er... I didn't post the link? :S

Here it is again.

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]