FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deliver Corporate Video to iPad

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Edwards
Deliver Corporate Video to iPad
on Oct 24, 2017 at 2:38:04 pm

I've just been asked by a client if a corporate video I have produced for him can be delivered to their sales teams' iPads in such a way that it can be viewed on the device but cannot be further distributed or shared, ie they can show it to clients physically in the room looking at their iPad, but they can't e-mail, copy or upload it.

Anyone know of a way of doing this other than embedding it in a dedicated IOS app custom written?

Regards,

Nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Deliver Corporate Video to iPad
on Oct 24, 2017 at 7:19:11 pm

This is like the problem the Motion Picture Academy & movie studios have with showing "screeners" to critics or Oscars voters, without getting the movie pirated. The last "solution" I had heard of for them was to put a DVD or blu ray in a portable
"clamshell" video player with built-in screen, superglue the lid shut and disable the video output connectors, then have a live courier hand-deliver and accompany the player, sitting in the room with the viewer and taking it back immediately after the film was done.

I can't think of a similar way to do that with an ipad, except to program a password-protected server and add some programming that blocks sending a stream after one viewing. If the audience has a chance to watch the tablet, unsupervised, they could capture it with a camera phone and there goes your "exclusive". So, this is really a human factors problem, more than a tech problem.

Good Luck, Mister Phelps!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 31, 2017 at 10:43:35 pm

How about putting it on one of the distribution VIEWER sites like Vimeo or Frame.io - behind a password - and with the download option disabled?

Wouldn't be perfect, because as others have said, you can point a smart phone at the iPad and rip anything it can display. But restricting it to web playback and keeping the file small so an iPad with cellular service could access it would preclude the need for even WiFi access and might be an option.

Just spitballing here.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Nick Edwards
on Nov 14, 2017 at 12:01:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think the client accepts this won't be a 'watertight solution' so just so long as it's fairly difficult (rather than impossible) to share, that's all we're looking for.

ie it can't be e-mailed or uploaded/downloaded without jailbreaking the iPad, if something exists electronically, it can generally be got at if someone tries hard enough, so I'm looking for 'too hard for an average sales guy' not 'technically impossible' here.

This needs to work offline so any web solutions won't really work either.

Regards,

Nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:40:19 pm

Hmmm. .. what if you used Skype, point-to point to "serve up" the video from a computer at the home office? Your salesperson with the iPad calls in to the head office, to say they are with a prospect right now, you can even verify the situation there by using the camera first, then you feed the video thru the call, it's not recorded at the destination, only seen live.

I bet the resolution would not be as good, probably. But maybe that's more secure, in that the viewing conditions are fully controlled, and there is no product retained on the iPad itself, so even if it was stolen, the thieves don't have a copy of the media.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]