FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good bit rate, file size for 1920X1080 video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Good bit rate, file size for 1920X1080 video
on May 10, 2016 at 7:34:18 pm

We had a videographer recently record an event for my employer, and afterwards she asked me to give her an idea of what bit rate and file size I wanted from the raw video. I'd appreciate any guidance here if anyone has any. For the most part we'd be using the footage to include in various other videos, mainly for online, but would like sufficient quality to project on a big screen at an event if necessary.
Thank you for any feedback!

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Good bit rate, file size for 1920X1080 video
on May 10, 2016 at 9:09:28 pm

It depends on what your editing system can use. She may have asked about Frame Rate. In that case it was already decided once she recorded it. Not knowing what editing platform you use, makes it difficult to tell you what to ask for. What formats do you typically shoot and edit? Tell her you just want the raw footage in that format. She shouldn't be asking about bit rates and file sizes, it's all based on the footage she shot. If she gives you a specific file size, then she's compressing the footage and it's no longer "raw"

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on May 10, 2016 at 9:46:38 pm

Thanks Greg. I edit on Adobe Premiere Pro CC and I personally typically shoot Canon 5D Mark 3 footage. I actually don't mind if she compresses it a bit, since they use this footage very sparingly and apparently the file sizes are gigantic. I told her I usually compress 1920 X 1080 footage for vimeo at a bit rate of about 20,000 kbits/sec. Just let me know if you or anyone else has any feedback on this, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on May 10, 2016 at 9:51:44 pm

Why is she compressing it at all? Why not just get the raw footage on a drive?

Steve

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 16, 2016 at 11:53:37 pm

She just needs to give you the raw footage. Send her a small USB hard drive and let her put the raw footage on the drive and send it to you. Never accept compressed footage. That's not what you paid for.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jun 11, 2016 at 3:36:15 pm

I agree, get the MASTER as I call it, uncompressed (that is not RAW), will be big file though.

Then you make the conversions, later in time you can always go back to the MASTER and make more conversions when you need them.

By the way, if its filmed already, it is basically done, you can not decide if you want RAW any more, it is filmed....

Just ask her the footage that came out of the camera, the original. Then you have the best source. If you editing can not
handle that, make the conversions yourself.

I prefer editing uncompressed, the highest quality available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]