FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does copyright music work with YouTube?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
How does copyright music work with YouTube?
on Apr 18, 2015 at 5:56:04 pm

I know this question has been asked before, but I'm wondering if there is an updated answer with how this works, now with YouTube identifying and tagging songs for artists/groups.

I have a client who wants to create a video just with the same idea as

. That is clearly a copyrighted song which has been identified and tagged by YouTube (which creates links to purchase options, etc.)

Some time ago I researched how copyright material works on YouTube and read that the rightful owner gets to decide if/how it can be used (eg. no mobile devices, no use at all, etc.) and the uploader also cannot monetize the video.

So, where does this fall for a professional production company and a professional business (rather than a school and class av team)? Not that it matters legally, but this would be strictly a fun, PR video.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: How does copyright music work with YouTube?
on Apr 18, 2015 at 7:39:46 pm

Here's one example...

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on Apr 18, 2015 at 8:06:16 pm

[Steve Brame] "Here's one example..."

That was really clever! I'm not sure if the initial awkwardness and hassle of syncing outweighs the fun video though. But a by-product was that I couldn't fast forward to the end unless I wanted to lose sync- that's smart!

So, from a serious standpoint- is this something that actually makes sense? Would people actually go through the hoops to play it (I honestly wouldn't have if it wasn't for the reason of seeing how it worked)? Obviously 105k people clicked play, but that's from being online for 4 years, and I wonder how many closed the windows after 10 seconds of confusion. But... it does work.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Apr 18, 2015 at 10:45:08 pm
Last Edited By Steve Brame on Apr 19, 2015 at 1:49:34 am

They didn't plan the video this way. They originally had the song in the video, then Abba's management threatened to litigate if they didn't remove it. The sync solution was the production company's response to that threat.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:56:53 pm

Counting on the mercy of a provider like YouTube to consider what you're doing "fair use" and "allowing" your homage or parody video to have an audio track is probably not the best strategy for a legitimate business.

These projects might be goofy fun, but I'm not sure making one of these straight up re-creations, like the Uptown Funk example you gave, really "does" anything for the client. Usually it's a vanity project; a large scale home movie for someone in the company who always wanted to be a movie or rock star. For those outside the cast and crew of the thing, it tends to be rather tedious and not all that entertaining, because it's forcing a comparison to an original that no doubt had a much higher budget and better talent all around. In some cases, it can have downright disastrous effects, even with the best of intentions. Case in point, the Star Trek and Gilligan's Island - themed training weekends done by the IRS:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/taxpayer-money-finances-irs-star-trek-parody/

If you watched them all the way thru, I apologize.

If the client insists on a dance number, why not try for an original one, instead of copying the hundreds of others already out there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]