FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternative to masking tape for cable runs

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy lewis
Alternative to masking tape for cable runs
on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:35:53 pm

The place we are filming in has a kind of weak, painted-on floor. I discovered this when I pulled up some masking tape the other day and the floor came with it! Oops.

No harm done this time as they are having the floor re-done this week anyway.

What can I use instead of tape? We have quite a lot of lighting in semi-public areas. I did a bit of research which suggested "painter's tape" as the weakest grade of masking tape. When I go into hardware shops here though, they all just hand me the same brand (3M) of masking tape.

I am considering using cable ties to bring the cables together and then covering in heavy rubber matting - carpet underlay maybe. There are already sand bags on the lights.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
Re: Alternative to masking tape for cable runs
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:30:05 pm

You should be able to find the painter's tape in Lowe's or Home Depot, perhaps even Target or Walmart. It is commonly only available in blue or green.

The best kind of tape to use, though, is gaffer's tape. Your local music supply store may have some, or you may have to order some online (which with shipping time is why I suggested where you can get the painter's tape). The gaffer's tape is designed to not leave residue or damage surfaces over the medium term, and can come in many colors to help if you are keying.

The painter's tape is designed solely for very short term application - one to two days.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding based on a bit of research and a little experience. If someone has something better, PLEASE let us know! :)

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:59:25 pm

"Real" gaffer tape generally doesn't hurt ANY finishes - are you sure you weren't using duct tape?

Two suggestions I have for you, well, three. Go to markertek.com and look at real gaffer tape, or, get some carpet runners, or again from markertek or similar store, you can get "tunnel tape" or plastic ramps that cover the cords and let wheels and feet go over the top.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:29:05 pm

By far the worst damage was done by duct tape but then masking tape also pulled the floor up.

I'll give "Real" gaffer tape a go - I've only seen it for sale here in video equipment rental places (I'm not in the US). Also, about painter's tape - very short term is fine. We only have the lighting up over the weekend then we have to take it down. I'll get both and test overnight in an unloved corner of the building. Thanks!

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 19, 2015 at 11:30:44 am

I got better tape but not in time to test it properly. In the end I put rubber bath mats over the (short) cable runs and carpet underlay from Ikea under the green screen. This stuff:

http://www.ikea.com/hk/en/catalog/products/40227879/

It worked really well - better than using tape. You could use it as scrim as well!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2015 at 6:35:35 pm

If using for scrim, be careful to keep a distance from hot lights, as I think that stuff will combust.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]