FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording presentations/talks with a DSLR

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ispaxan Nixteridakis
Recording presentations/talks with a DSLR
on Jan 9, 2015 at 9:23:23 am

Hey guys,

I have been filming coorporate presentations / lectures / workshops with a 5D MKIII. I want to know if there is any other apparent reason of filming this kind of events with and EX1 besides the 30 minutes rec limitations.

Is it going to have any other advantage image wise? Is this going to look more professional on an EX1 or not?

I hope this is the right category to post this.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Recording presentations/talks with a DSLR
on Jan 9, 2015 at 12:15:40 pm

[Ispaxan Nixteridakis] "besides the 30 minutes rec limitations."

Wow! This is the main reason that we don't record such shoots with our DSLR! For me it's enough of a reason.

But another would be audio. With a proper video camera, your audio is already synced with the video, unless of course you have an add-on device that can input external audio into the DSLR.

[Ispaxan Nixteridakis] " Is this going to look more professional on an EX1 or not?"

Depends on what you or you client considers 'professional' to be. When digital video was just emerging we had to deal with the hooplah that our newly purchased DVCPro cameras weren't as good as our BetaSP cameras. Then we got an Canon XL1, then a Panasonic DVX100, and so on.

Personally, I'd love to be able to use a DSLR for that sort of shooting - the picture looks so much 'prettier' than our HMC100's - especially in the realm of depth of field and such. Not sure if 'prettier' equals 'more professional' though. However, even with Magic Lantern's firmware installed, with it's auto restart feature that starts recording again after the camera reaches it's limit, there's still a very perceptible gap there in between clips. Easily handled if your audio is being recorded separately, but then again you've added the audio/video sync task.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Ispaxan Nixteridakis
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:16:09 pm

Hey Steve,

This is the response i was expecting. Audio wise i have a radio mic that I feed directly to my MKIII. I think i will need to wire it at a zoom recorder and switch the video to the second camera when 1 cuts off.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:25:34 pm

Ah...well, you didn't mention that you had a second camera!

We also use a Zoom H6 to capture audio as a backup or if the cable run from the mic or mixer is prohibitive.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Ispaxan Nixteridakis
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:44:44 pm

Thanks again,

I was about to create a new post with another topic about a sound issue i had but hopefully you can give me your two cents worth on it.

I was filming an event last week and the presenter already had a radio mic on him going through a PA for the venue sound. It seemed awkward putting him another mic so i could record for my video (although i did).

What is the usual way of doing this? I suppose:

PA Output (2xlr's?)-> Zoom recorder -> synchronising with video in edit?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:01:51 pm

IF the presenter(s) are already mic'ed by someone else, be it in-house A/V or sub-contractor, we will always try to get a feed off of their system, especially if the mics are wireless. If we can run the audio to one of our cameras, fine - that will ease post, eliminating or lessening the need to sync audio to video. But if the cable runs aren't feasible, we'll place a Zoom H6 somewhere on or close to the audio table and hook in there. We just start recording with it, adjust levels, making sure that limiting is set up, and let it run. I'll also try to point the H6's mic toward the speaker as a backup in case the house audio has any problems. We've been using the Y-Y mic, and I really like the audio from that mic, but I'm about to buy the shotgun mic capsule. I'll also use a shotgun mic on our main camera and turn up it's input level so I get a really good waveform that aids in syncing with the other audio in post - plus, if all the other audio fails you can use that audio as your main. We also always have at least one camera, usually our DSLR, to get audience shots to cover cuts. We're very paranoid when it comes to audio. Bad video can be covered with b-roll, but lack of audio = disaster.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Ispaxan Nixteridakis
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:59:30 pm

THanks again for your input but there are couple of scenarios that can go horribly wrong with this plan.

Lets say the A/V system is in the next room and i leave the Zoom recorder over there feeding from their system. If something goes wrong we won't be able to see/know.

Also leaving the recorder on the podium and the battery/card runs out how would you know. That leaves you with a shotgun mic 5 metres away from the speaker.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21:47 pm

[Ispaxan Nixteridakis] "Lets say the A/V system is in the next room and i leave the Zoom recorder over there feeding from their system. If something goes wrong we won't be able to see/know."

If the 'something going wrong' is with the house audio system, it wont matter how you are connected to it - via a Zoom on the table, or directly to your camera. You'll still be recording whatever problems are happening. Personally, in nearly 30 years I've never seen a mixer set up in another room from the presentation. Can't even begin to imagine why that would happen, but strange things do happen. If that were the case, no way I'd depend on the 'Zoom on the mixer table scenario'.

[Ispaxan Nixteridakis] "leaving the recorder on the podium and the battery/card runs out how would you know"

Well, I start out with fresh new batteries for every job. It's cheap insurance. With new batteries, the Zoom H6 is rated at 20+ hours. My 8GB card will go for 12 hours at 48K WAV. So those two scenarios are unlikely. If I'm recording a straight 12 hour presentation( I wish!), there will be many, many breaks to let me check on things - changing cards and/or batteries if warranted.

Suffice to say, be paranoid and have a backup audio capture. In my scenario presented, I have two.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Ispaxan Nixteridakis
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:53:37 pm

Great Mark,

Thanks for your quick response. Very hepfull advice and insight there.

Return to posts index

Rene Folse
on Jan 18, 2015 at 4:22:39 am

I mostly record educational events and seminars in hotels. I am rarely able to anticipate the audio limitations. I agree in using a Zoom recorder as a plan B, and that has saved the day for me more than once. But basically I have several methods. For one, I can use my own wireless equipment in "line in" mode plugged into the phones jack of the hotel gear and get fairly decent audio to the back of the room where my camera gear is that way. Using two on stereo channels mixed as it were mono gives me redundancy and diversity. If able I bring long runs of XLR and if I can bring hard wired sound to the back of the room that is great. At the end of the day, with a very uncooperative hotel AV staff, I bring my own powered speakers, supports, wired and wireless microphones, and mixer, and tell the hotel to turn off their gear and go it with my own. Once I get the sound to the back of the room, I use a six channel splitter and send good sound to each camera. As noted above, the audio is the most important part, and I have learned to give sound much emphasis.

Return to posts index

Ispaxan Nixteridakis
on Jan 18, 2015 at 7:17:31 pm

Hey Rene,

I guess i have found the hard way that sound is actually something not to pass lightly. i have couple of questions though.
a) I am wondering how do you manage to send the sound from the splitter to the cameras. Do you run cables or something wireless.
b) Why don't you record the sound at the back of the room and sync it afterwards with the cameras (premier pro audio sync function)? Is it necessary for every camera to record the sound?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]