FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on colorful backdrop for corporate video studio

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul RavsNeed advice on colorful backdrop for corporate video studio
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 8:11:01 am

Hi All,

I am looking to set up video studio for a workplace. Looking to shoot byte sized videos and also do virtual meetings from the room.

I have curtain rails around the edges of the room upon which I have green screen, black screen mounted as options to pull in place depending on the needs.

I want to add a third screen which would essentially be a colorful background - preferbly a bokeh of multiple colors. I am trying to source something like the backdrop seen in the television show - Whose Line is it Anyway (US version from the 2000's) Here is a link to what I want to achieve - http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ccBBlhoMLqI/maxresdefault.jpg or https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PNeqQgL7C1U/maxresdefault.jpg

Please help me find a source file or link to something I can source myself.

Appreciate your help!
Paul

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Need advice on colorful backdrop for corporate video studio
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:28:45 pm

What you see there is a combination of a mottled muslin like what you can get from Denny mfg., plus patches of colored lighting on top of it.

If I had to suggest one curtain, I would say, get a medium "dove gray" or "CBS" gray. Because, depending on how much light you throw at it, that gray can read as anything from white to black, PLUS, whatever color you gel your lights, the gray is not THAT color. Many colors of Photographer's paper rolls are also cheap, around 60 bucks for a 6-footer (width), and you can hang that from your rails with chains and a length of conduit.

Of course if you shoot greenscreen you have infinite choices of backdrops in post. But sometimes, all you need is a good, crumpled-up muslin and some lighting with a pattern over it, for a classic look.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Need advice on colorful backdrop for corporate video studio
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:06:54 pm

My favorite instant pattern for background lighting, is to take a sheet of black cinefoil and stab it randomly with a ballpoint pen to get random sized holes in it. Some of the holes, I further distort and expand using my fingers. I place that in a tota-frame gel frame holder, in front of one of my Lowel Omni lights, and that becomes my "gobo" or "Cukaloris". It can be combined with a color gel as well.

Another trick is to use a video projector, fed by your laptop or phone/ipod to throw a patterns, either still or in motion, onto the wall or photog's paper backdrop behind a person. This is handy for projecting corporate logos, campaign slogans, and such, and some of the inexpensive, tiny "pico projectors" that are available today, are bright enough to make this work in a well-lit room.

Return to posts index

Joe KnappRe: Need advice on colorful backdrop for corporate video studio
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:53:13 am

Not to change the subject, but why can't I see this thread when I go to the "Corporate Video" category? I stumbled on this discussion somehow, but can't find it normally. Odd....

Btw, interesting thread. I may have to use that black cinefoil idea myself. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]