FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whats everybody's music source?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Warren
Whats everybody's music source?
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:41:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Last fall I moved into a videographer position at a university. We're pushing out a handful of videos each month, most for online distribution, but some for broadcast. I've always been a shooter/producer/editor more than anything else and haven't worked on the purchasing end of things a ton.

We're searching for an online collection of royalty free music at a reasonable subscription price. We'd like to be able to use the songs indefinitely once downloaded (vs a one-time use). I've always used and really like firstcom's library, but the sales rep I talked to refused to give me an estimate unless I gave him a number first.

What are some good sources that everyone likes? Thanks in advance for the input!

Director of Photography | Narrative View Pictures | looking for a northern Colorado video production company? Just click on the link.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Whats everybody's music source?
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:17:17 pm

We've been using SmartSound's SonicFire Pro program and their library for years. You pick the song, pick which version of the song fits best, then tell the program how long it needs to be and the program rewrites the song to fit.

Of course if you don't need that functionality, you can hardly beat the prices at AudioJungle.net.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:28:00 pm

SmartSound Sonic Fire pro fan here, too.

WHat Smart Sound has, that you can;t get with needle-drop sources, is that not ONLY can you instantly revise the playing time, you also can get versions specifically composed to fit well underneath a voce-over, and you can have small group versions, percussion variations, all of which let you give a sense of overall unity to the production. Your big title sequence, your lower-thirds, your end credits, some kind of interstitial between chapters... it all sounds like it was made to fi together, but each part stands alone.

Nowadays, you don't have to own the entire program, either, you can audition the tracks and collections online and buy a-la-carte, so it doesn't lock you in to buying, say, four loop collections, and then nothing new for a year, because that was all your procurement budget could handle. DGMQ, we got a LOT of good use out of only 4 loop collections here, but if they give you a credit limit at the place, you could do the online a la carte thing and never worry about buying something you end up not getting much use out of.

Return to posts index

Andrew Warren
on Jun 23, 2014 at 10:22:01 pm

Wow, kind of surprised that after 7 years of doing this line of work, I've never heard of that program!

That could definitely save a lot of time if you can set a length and it automatically trims it down. I'll be looking into this resource. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Any other solid resources?

Director of Photography | Narrative View Pictures | looking for a northern Colorado video production company? Just click on the link.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:10:42 pm

Alright. I'm ready to buy into SmartSound Sonic Fire pro. I've used their tracks several times but never taken the time to get or learn the software side.

Other sources of just straight tracks, aside the aformentioned, include
MyMusicSource.com, PremiumBeat.com, beatsuite.com and royaltyfreemusiclibrary.com.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:26:38 pm

Honestly, I've only used their 'Express Track' portion of the software to choose music. However, I've seen demos at NAB and there is SO much more to the software than 'Express Track', and I've been vowing to better learn the other functions.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:08:49 pm

The modularity in Sonic Fire is impressive. If you have any musical ability at all, the lego-block-like structure of the loops makes it easy to custom-compose. Sony ACID is also very good at this, with a voluminous back-catalog of loops. But I don't think it's as easy to use as Sonic fire. If Acid was a musical After-Effects, then maybe Sonic Fire is a musical Apple Motion. But that's a kind of tortured analogy.

Return to posts index

Jon Harrison
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:40:35 pm

What's included in the Sonicfire Pro 5.8 software? Does actual music come with this or is it just a software that allows you to purchase tracks and edit / manipulate them? Like Digital Juice's Juicer if you will?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:33:42 pm

It is similar to what Digital juice and Sony Acid do: you have the actual program, and then you buy packs of tracks for it to work from. Generally when you buy the application, they throw one or two sets of tracks in with it to get you started. Buy those once, own them forever, no licensing issues, ever. With their online auditioning and purchase feature, you dont have to buy entire track collections to get just one you really like, and auditioning them is free and simple if you have a fast net connection.

Return to posts index

Jon Harrison
on Sep 10, 2014 at 6:57:17 pm

Thanks Mark! I figured it was like that, but they don't really say anything about it and it's $99 where juicer was typically free.

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Sep 10, 2014 at 10:35:37 pm

There's quite a bit more functionality to Sonicfire Pro as compared to the Juicer.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:41:00 pm

I've found some useful tracks at http://www.akmmusic.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:35:03 am

I've had very good luck with Pond5.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Warren
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:08:01 pm

Just found this yesterday, has anyone had much experience with audioblocks.com ?

I can't seem to find a number on how many songs are in their collection, but I'm looking at a $99 annual fee for unlimited downloads and thinking, is this too good to be true?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:08:40 pm

Andrew -

I like many of the choices on Audio Blocks, but if they're anything like their sister site, Video Blocks, once you create a login and they get your email address, they will spam you relentlessly with offers, sometimes once or twice a day. I finally had to block them.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:45:41 am

I don't find it sensible to rely on any single library these days.

I regularly search through half a dozen on-line depending on budget and the style I want.

I have two major royalty free libraries in my studio that I've had for years, but I find I seldom use them anymore because I've mined them for so long that every cut I like now reminds me of an old program I used it with.

In the modern era, I can audition 1000 new cuts anytime I like, download audio watermarked versions for client comps - and then only pay for the approved cuts i'm going to use.

So I can't see any reason to hold onto my old libraries any longer.

Times change.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Joe Knapp
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:10:49 am

I used to use subscription music services only. Nowadays, I usually use a combination of "per song" sites like PremiumBeat.com, plus a subscription service (currently Killer Tracks). Because we're not in need of a high volume of music, I'd rather pay per song, and search many sites to get just the right track(s).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:16:59 pm

Another vote for audiojungle.net

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jan 15, 2015 at 4:58:39 pm

I've had lots of luck with Shockwave-Sound.com.......although my credit card company always thinks its a fishy transaction when I pay, due to the billing address in Norway.

JPD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]