FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adidas Battle Pack Commercial

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob JenningsAdidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 6:55:37 pm

Could anyone provide insight into how this was made? Absolutely stunning commercial work.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 6:45:05 am

I can tell you exactly how work like this is made.

Step one is finding a sponsor that's mastered the process of taking $20 or so of raw materials and via schrewed business accumin, finding customers all over the world that will pay up to $300 a pair for them ... for decades.

Then you take a modest percentage of the profits that proven business model generates and dedicate that to an advertising budget that allows you to hire tha top creative, production and artistic talent on the planet and give them any and all the resources they need to do planetary class work.

If the creative calls for, say a dragon as in this piece, you get to pick from among various methods of creating that and you hire one of the best proven people in that style, you have lots of meetings about the nature of the dragon ness of the element then you let the people who do that wow you. If they don't, you keep looking until you find someone who does - and can not just do the art, but can do it with the aesthetic look the creative director and the art director demands.

And at every stage in production you have creative direction pushing you to do the best possible work and who are willing to dump any existing version of the work if it becomes evident that there might be a way to do better..

Ads at this level are team sports just like soccer matches. So you get to work with proven A-team players.

That's the way this kind of thing has always been done.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:45:08 am

Bill, you made me laugh although $20 sounds like real high production cost.

Cheaper version of the advert is to invest in either some green or blue paint and paint part of the objects that you want to be see through. Do a with and without shoot of object with background.

Key out said colour in after effects, turn image monochrome, push whites up and blacks down to get a harder image, add multiple objects, maybe a bit of smoke, and then add zooms,pans and tilts in AE too. And for the cost of the paint, you'll have made something that might not look too dissimilar to the advert.

But as Bill says; the real cost is coming up with the original idea - although in China they say that copying other peoples work is seen as flattery...

my less than $20 opinion ;-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:56:34 pm

That spot was all CGI. I think you're cruel to tell him he can do the same thing by painting chromakey stripes on his volunteer actors.

Cruel, but amusing:-)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:06:27 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Cruel, but amusing"

Rob, I must apologise to you, as the intention was not to be cruel or poke fun at your question.

As much as it is likely to have been done in CGI, there is nothing to stop you from getting your old cowboy and Indian figures down from the loft and paint blue stripes on them (or green). With the right choice of lens, a motion rig and a bit of trickery in AE, I'm sure that you could make something similar without using the budget of the original. Even if it will keep Mark laughing.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:28:26 pm

Not trolling, or trying to be didactic, but, there is a difference between painting a key thru a solid figure, and modeling a hollow figure with torn-away slashes revealing inner surfaces, in CGI. Part of the awesome look in that spot comes from the figures being visibly hollow with a perspective that shows a bit of the inside surfaces of each figure. Like you had partially painted offer a transparent glass figure. A solid figure with a chromakey stripe doesn't get you that part of the illusion. Painting on glass figures only kinda sorta could do it. This is really something you can only really execute as CGI.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:48:59 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Not trolling, or trying to be didactic"

No, you are just a spoil-sport trying to be clever ;-)

But I do agree with Mark that a visit to the local china shop will offer something better than the old cast iron figures from the loft.

Jokes aside; as said, it is likely that the spot referred to was done in CGI. But the inspiration would have had to come out of something. And even though CGI has lot to offer for someone with unlimited time and budgets, don't be put off by the old fashioned techniques of using models and blue paint.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Rob JenningsRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:40:09 am

Anyone know of affordable 3d scanning software? I'm a cinematographer, no knowledge of CGI, but I'm interested in learning.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:26:55 pm

There's free stuff people are sharing that leverages the Microsoft Kinect unit and makes it a 3-d scanner. Look that up and see if it might work for you. Free solutions usually require extra elbow grease and sweat equity to make it work.

Look up free photogrammetric scanning.

An older technique people used to do was to project a grid onto the live or clay model using a slide projector, and take still photos of the distorted grid projection. Then you imported those grid photos into your 3-way view in the 3-d application and traced the lines to create splines which would then have to be connected. A variant on this method uses a pet-toy laser pointer, shining thru the stem of a wine glass, to create the scan projection over the model.

Return to posts index

Rob JenningsRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 6:56:15 pm

Haha. Point made. I recognized it was all CGI but was interested in a few insights into the workflow.

Maybe I should focus on raising money instead!

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Adidas Battle Pack Commercial
by on Jun 19, 2014 at 10:12:31 pm

3D software

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]