FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen Captures of Clients website

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Screen Captures of Clients website
on Jun 2, 2014 at 4:46:16 pm

I've been asked to produce a video for a client, that explains how to fill out the various forms on their website. I'm wondering what the best way of producing this would be.

1. Shoot their screen with an HD Camera?
2. Rent a scan converter?
3. Use a program like ScreenFlow or Camtasia?

If I use a scan converter how would I record the video? I use a Sony EX1. Would I need to rent a kipro?

At the end of the day, they want to have this video on their website to instruct customers. Since they know their website and forms better, I would think we want to do this in their office. They are not real tech saavy, so I don't think they can use Camtasia on their own and be able to visually provide the best quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Screen Captures of Clients website
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:00:12 pm

They are going to watch how to use the website... ON the website... :-)

Brought to you by the Florida State Department of Redundancy department:-)

Scan converters are how I used to do this ALl the time in the SD era, but nowadays, I would either use a screen recorder app like you mentioned, or if motion wasn't a factor, just export the site or grabs of part of the site, as a pdf file, vectorizing it, and then you can manipulate that as you would any stills. On macs, the grab tool or quicktime screen recording is something I use all the time.

If using a scan converter/scaler, it obviously needs to handle HD rez and yes, you'd need some kind of recorder, which could use a hard disk, or card-based media. The KiPro may be rentable, if you want something to own but want to keep the cost down, the Atomos line might be of interest.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:07:09 pm

Thanks Mark...Yep redundancy...LOL....

This is a bank, so they need to explain how to open a new account on line. They have a PPT of each page, but I think for video purposes, it would be better to show the words being typed and the mouse clicks.

My camera op says he can shoot the actual screen with his C300 camera by changing the frame rate in my camera and on the screen to match. Would this work?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:27:52 pm

Yes, and with the new LCD/ LED screens, it's easier to shoot the real screen than ever before. It does however require some management of lighting and reflections. You might do as well adding animation to still grabs thru the screen-capture process.

I would just mention here that a local bank I did something for decided to make "how-to" videos on their site for training members on how to fill out forms, and they did a terrible job, basically taping a guy physically describing the process, in a video which took much longer to watch than the form takes to complete. What they had before was still image files but WAY more efficient and clear than the "video" instructions. I know your outfit is more "pro" than that, (nice new home page BTW) but felt it needed a mention.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:10:51 pm

Thanks Mark. And thanks for the feedback on the revised home page.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:36:57 pm

Hi Greg -

I've had very good results in the past with Camtasia. You can see an example of the quality of screen capture on a production I did for MadgeTech (a data logger manufacturer):

http://bourkemedia.com/video-gallery/

You'll find it bottom left in the video gallery, called "RFOT Video". Screen captures start at around 2:45.

Since you're working for a bank, where security is of the highest importance, see if you can't get some dummy data from them, so that you can work within their real system without compromising anything. The MadgeTech software I used came with a set of model data, which allowed the user to learn the system before bringing it online.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:25:41 pm

Hi Joseph,

Thanks. That looks good. Was Camtasia easy to learn? How long did it take you to produce this? Did you charge normal editing rates? Or did you charge a different production rate?

Lastly, what output size did you provide the client? What format?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:51:42 pm

Hi Greg -

I charged my regular hourly rate, but that was built into the project based on the runtime of the script, and the content of the script. I was able to get the software from the client, along with the dummy data I spoke of, and do the screen capture on my home PC. I did create a separate user account so that I could clean all of the icons from my standard desktop layout, and keep it generic looking. I charged the same rate as I would have for editing; I track all of my time on every project, so I end up knowing whether I end up ahead or behind on any project.

I captured at 1920 x 1080 (that's what I set my screen size to on my computer), and the final master production was 1920 x 1080, but my delivery to the client was for web, iPad, and iPhone, so my deliverables were much smaller screen sizes (if I remember correctly, 960 x 540, and 640 x 360). The version of Camtasia I had at the time output to .avi, so I just imported the screen captures into Premiere Pro, and that worked just fine. I usually provide a "protection master" as part of the project - I first assess if the client has any idea how to use this - so there's an edited master off-site, and the client knows they have the full-rez project.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:51:52 pm

Thanks so much Joseph.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved