FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking Workflow advise using C100

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody WaltersSeeking Workflow advise using C100
by on May 28, 2014 at 12:37:24 pm

I work with a small team of four in a corporate environment, working off shared storage. We primarily shoot on the C100 for a variety of corporate video projects. We have shot this camera for a year now, and I am curious how others in a corporate environment are dealing with the native AVCHD file naming that is coming off the camera. My biggest issue is having 4 video clips that are all named 00001.MTS.

We have a unique naming convention for folders that contain the card originals, but the clip names inside of Premiere are driving us crazy.

Although Adobe pushes hard for native editing, I am highly considering a new workflow that involves transcoding all media and re-naming with more unique clip names to avoid repeat names.

Does anyone have advice on how we should proceed?

Cody Walters
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Adobe Creative Cloud
Canon C100, 6D, 60D

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Seeking Workflow advise using C100
by on Jun 1, 2014 at 10:38:15 pm

The more I work in the new file based world, the more strongly I believe that if you have 4 different clips with the same finder ID you've got a broken workflow.

I use FCP X, which has a sophisticated batch renaming system built in. but having the capability and users knowing how to deploy it are separate things. I wonder if it's the same for PPro?

I'd expect either PPro or perhaps one of the sidecar programs like Bridge can already facilitate this, precisely because so often field shooters fail to Pre-set file metadata to distinguish files at the source.

I've also seen a lot of workflows that unnecessarily dump file metadata because the user is accustomed to finder level drag and drop import.

Sorry I don't know enough about PPro to help you, but post import rules based batch file renaming is pretty basic stuff these days so I bet it's possible.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Clifford SonnentagRe: Seeking Workflow advise using C100
by on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:35:33 pm

Does C-100 have an import utility?

Sony uses a content management utility that renames the files to YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.M2ts and strips the multi-folder structure when imported. All footage is in one folder after import to move where needed. Only time you might have duplicates is with multi-camera shoots and even then it is a rare problem.

Let me know if Canon C-100 has something like this. If it doesn't I could see how the workflow would be broken or at least cracked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved