FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris EvansPossibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:32:24 pm

Hey, guys, I'm going to create a promo for a trophy with a theme along the lines of "What are you playing for?". My idea is to do some dynamic close ups of different parts of the trophy while it is slowly rotating on a black bg, then do a wide shot at the end. Pretty simple idea and I don't know if there will be a voice over yet. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas. However, my main deal is that I need an automatic turntable/swivel/lazy susan that can hold a fairly large trophy and I don't know where to look.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:43:56 pm

Google "motorized turntable". You'll find lots. If you're handy at all, you could fairly easily make one.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:46:47 pm

Wow...scratch that. Just go straight to eBay and search. The prices are great.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:42:44 pm

A lighting tip for trophies and shiny things with curves is to put a big white card next to it, just out of shot, and bounce light off the card, onto the object, to create the specular highlights that help define the shape.

You might want to play with casting shadows (single and multiple, black and colors) of the trophy onto a nearby wall, with the trophy in the very-near foreground. That gives you something to then throw text or PIP effects into.

If you have access to a video projector, projecting text as well as video bits across the trophy can be very cool.

If the trophy isn't too complex, you might consider creating it in CGI, and getting REALLY wild with it.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:09:00 pm

Thanks Mark, that's great advice that I never would have thought of. I'll try and see what I can do.

I wish I could create a cg version, but I'm not skilled in that area. I've messed with blender a little but I can't do much.

Also, Steve, thanks for your advice. I found what I was looking for on ebay, but something that can hold the weight of the trophy is around 50 bucks and ships from China and takes a week or three to get here. I'm handy enough to create my own, but I don't have to tools myself and no friends nearby who would have any. I'll see if I can get my boss to bite, but I'm not sure I have the time to wait.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Possibilities and equipment for Trophy Promo
by on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:46:33 pm

You can DIY a turntable: there's extensive video on it at DIgital Juice, but the essence of their method is to buy a rotisserie motor for use on barbecue grills, and attach it to a lazy susan turntable.

You can buy the lazy susan pre-made at a K-mart or similar store, or you can go to a big hardware store/home center and buy just the ball-bearing races as a pre-made unit, and add your own wood to that. The rotisserie motor is usually only one speed, and you change apparent speed in post production.

The motors come in AC and battery-powered versions. Simplest installation is to mount it vertically in a center hole under the lazy susan. Obviously, you need a support system under this that gives the motor room to hang down, but that's not going to be in your shot.

An alternate method is to drive the rim of a circular top surface by putting a rubber wheel or gear on the output of the rotisserie motor. If you are rim-driving the thing, you could also substitute a DC motor and a speed controller from a model train set, to have more precise control.

Another source for the parts and even complete systems that I can suggest is ServoCity/ The Robot Store.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]