FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing speaker video with PowerPoint

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Heckman
Syncing speaker video with PowerPoint
on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:07:38 pm

All,

There is a piece of software that enables you to sync PowerPoint presentation slides with video of the speaker. But what the heck is it called??? You need to use a second camera pointed at the PPT presentation for reference, but it can be a cheap camera. Then, you load the PPT into this software and it syncs with your speaker video, giving you all sorts of options for what to show when.

I don't remember if it's stand-alone or works with Premiere or FCP. I know it exists (or existed) because I remember looking at their site about two years ago. It's oriented toward video professionals and is not cheap or free.

I have Googled my brains out trying to find it without success. Unfortunately every query I can think of yields thousands of hits about PPT tips, screen capturing software, and slide sharing services.

Please help me find this product! Many Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Syncing speaker video with PowerPoint
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:06:48 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:11:11 pm

At first I thought you meant Microsoft Producer, which is free...

https://blogs.technet.com/b/quenguyen/archive/2008/10/16/creating-multimedi...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/produce-computer-based-tr...

Here's a variant:

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/9slides-unveils-presentation-software-sync-sli...

But I do dimly recall another such product, I think the name started with a "C"... I'll think on it some more. Maybe it was this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps6681/product_data...

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:13:06 pm

Thanks... It's definitely not MS producer or any free tool. It's oriented specifically toward the needs of corporate video professionals. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:37:08 pm

I'll try to remember it, but you know, it's not as much about the specific tool, as the skill with which you USE it. The finest app in inexpert hands is not more useful than a freeware like powerpoinnt, in the hands of an expert presenter.

Return to posts index

Joe Knapp
on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:43:23 pm

Articulate Presenter?
http://www.articulate.com/products/presenter.php

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
Not even close
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:17:15 am

Much as I appreciate guessing, please only post if you actually know the product to which I'm referring. Articulate Presenter is not remotely close to a product that;

1. Requires you to use a second camera trained on the computer with the PPT deck.
2. Imports the deck into video editing software.
3. Outputs a synced presentation in a VIDEO format
4. Is oriented towards the needs of people who shoot with real video cameras and edit video

Presenter is an eLearning tool that:

1. Outputs Flash, not a video format
2. Operates as an extension within PowerPoint
3. Requires you to sync your video with PPT slides manually
4. Has the capability (and works best) when you shoot selfie video with your computer's webcam

Apparently, few people have even heard of the product I'm trying to find. But if any of you have, I really really really would appreciate a post. To save some time and guessing, this product is NOT:

1. Adobe Captivate
2. Articulate Presenter or Storyline
3. Microsoft anything
4. TotallyHip.com
5. Apple Keynote
6. A substitute for skill
7. Prezzie

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
The Answer: Presto
on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:29:37 pm

Finally found the product I was referring to: Presto from Red Giant.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: But to what question : Presto
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:06:51 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:09:39 pm

Shooting the slides off a projector screen with a "low-quality, inexpensive" camera? Sounds barbaric. :-)

I DO remember seeing this when it first came out, and dismissing it because it's really nothing you can't do in FCP and/or Motion yourself already, with perhaps more style. Where it helps most is a case where the cameraman was lazy or not even present for the shoot, and typically, someone like that wouldn't be bringing two cameras anyway.

The recognition software does the face tracking so the speaker is always "pinned" to the pre-set composition, which is what the shooter should have been getting paid to do.

What I don't get is who the target user is for this kind of thing, because it assumes you have mastery of an NLE platform of one type or another, but that in addition to knowing how to use an NLE, you (or your partner) are also a terrible/negligent camera operator. I'm not sure that Venn diagram connects with much overlap.

Red Giant makes some awesome products, but I have trouble seeing a value case for this one, personally. I wonder if it is a huge seller? And to whom, exactly?

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:11:31 pm

"it's really nothing you can't do in FCP and/or Motion yourself already, with perhaps more style."

Very true. The key feature I needed was the image recognition-- so that the slide images could be synced with the speaker quickly, automatically, and cost effectively. We have a number of these presentations-- for internal use only-- where we need the speaker and the PPT on screen and in sync.

If we had more hours and resources, there would be dozens of ways to do this in Premiere, Motion, FCP, Adobe Presenter, Adobe Captivate, Articulate, and maybe a dozen other tools. But for this particular project, we needed something that a junior-level editor could do without investing a lot of time.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Feb 9, 2014 at 12:30:24 am

The product you are asking about is Presto from RedGiant software. It used to carry another name which I cannot recall that I used in FCP6 days. Great product. Produces very nice results. Glad to see RedGiant is now offering a version for Premiere.

www. redgiant .com

Jim Brown
M & M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]