FORUMS: list search recent posts

youtube url changes when I reload an updated video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Ryan
youtube url changes when I reload an updated video
on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:58:42 pm

I work for a local government corporate communications department.
We have a channel on youtube for the videos we create. It works really well. Our clients link to the youtube url from their webpage.
Often, clients will request changes after the video has been uploaded. We don't mind making the changes, but the updated video will have a new, different url. All the links for the original video no longer work.
Searching the internet does not suggest any way to keep the original link on youtube. Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated. Maybe something like clients linking to a folder instead of a file. And the file in the folder can be updated.
As much as we like youtube, we might have to look to another service (vimeo?)
Thank You

Kevin Ryan
Editor/Graphics
The Government Channel
City of Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: youtube url changes when I reload an updated video
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:43:34 pm

That's how youtube works.

You could make a playlist with your videos (even just one video), and link to that. Then of course you can update the playlist to reflect your re-uploaded video.

It's always nice if you can get clients to sign off on a final version before you post to the world ...

But vimeo looks good too. No doubt there are others.

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
Re: youtube url changes when I reload an updated video
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:51:12 pm

Yep. Vimeo will let you replace the file and maintain the URL. YouTube will not. At my work we use vzarr.com. It has lots of options for how you distribute and manage your media, including replacing files without futzing with the URL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]