FORUMS: list search recent posts

so with video now everywhere is everyone swamped with work?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan early
so with video now everywhere is everyone swamped with work?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:57:46 pm

I keep hearing about the video revolution, everyone wants video content etc etc.. Has the new/ growing demand for video content increased everyones workload and if so what are the kinds of work that you now find yourself most doing ?

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: so with video now everywhere is everyone swamped with work?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27:07 pm

No, at least not here. The paradox was the increasing ease and lower cost of video production, bringing it more in line with the masses. We've been forced to reduce our pricing structure fairly drastically, after being told many, MANY times when proposing a few thousand for a project, and being told that the CFO's son said he could do it for $500. Of course, we've also have the pleasure of having a couple of those same companies come to us later asking if we could "fix" the video the CFO's son "produced".

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

ryan early
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:49:19 am

Thanks for your response, I am finding the same thing regarding budgets so I feel your pain and frustration. What interests me is what the bulk of everyones work is these days. I do a mixture from freelance camera and edit, small vox pop driven corporates, training and larger budget corporates and docos. I am finding that the traditional corporate - presenter/crew - i.e decent budget corporate is less in favour now than the lower budget online content option which means I am now quoting against the likes of - as you say the CFO's son with a dslr ( who will most likely do a terrible job but then the opportunity is lost ).

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:59:57 pm
Last Edited By Roger Van Duyn on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:41:48 pm

I'm afraid we've entered the age of "The Selfie"

Plus, marketing myself as a guru with "The Secrets of How You Too Can Be A Successful Video Producer, Cinematographer..." doesn't look like a good option either because that market is already flooded.

Personally, I think the answer for survival is old fashioned word of mouth from satisfied customers. Plenty of people would rather not do the work themselves, but a lot of them are holding on to their money because we live in uncertain times. Ditto for businesses cutting back their advertising budgets. They'd rather not, but...

So, my single person company isn't swamped with work, at the moment. However, a short while ago I was. It's the old feast or famine adage. One big project and I'm swamped for awhile. It would be nice to have a steady stream of income, but that's not the nature of being in sales. And when you run your own company, you're in sales.

Roger

Return to posts index

Adam Revesz
on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:07:26 pm

We have been swamped here at One Inch Punch Productions Inc.. We do corporate videos, promotional videos, Web Videos and Commercials, Music Videos, Documentaries and Short Films and Reality TV productions. We even produce videos surrounding life events. Because of the variety of video productions we offer, this keeps us super busy. We haven't had to lower our prices what-so-ever since 2003.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:25:44 pm

I've experienced a 75% decrease in income this year. I've actually applied for a number of full-time corporate video jobs, but it's the same challenge of finding someone willing to pay what I'm worth :) That and finding a company I'm willing to dedicate a good chunk of my life to...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Joe Knapp
on Dec 6, 2013 at 4:37:45 am

I'm swamped with work...but then again, I'm in-house.

I wonder if the explosion of video is tempered with the affordability of high-end equipment, and the availability of people to run it...the net effect decreasing or flattening the workload to for-hire folks?

Companies seem more willing to bring someone onboard, and buy them the basic equipment...then unfortunately expecting Hollywood on the regular. Luckily, my company is beginning to understand the 'good/fast/cheap' dilemma, but I hear that from quite a few fellow in-housers in other companies.

Return to posts index

Igor Vukojevic
on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:24:25 pm
Last Edited By Igor Vukojevic on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:32:29 pm

I am. I am an internet marketer who turned into a video marketing expert over the past year. We rank videos on Google and we're killing it. Nowdays 95% of our income is from video marketing and it used to be around 25% a year and a half ago.

I hire camera operators when I need more than one, but I also have the equipment needed for some basic videos. The animation templates that are available nowdays make it easy to "wow" the customer and in some cases, a client will end up with a voiceover/animation even though they thought they needed to get in front of the camera and talk. I was able to enter the production market thanks for that model and then I ended up buying the equipment and stepping it up so I can cut the costs of hiring camera-operators that were eating up the budget. After a year and a half, I find myself on the other end, where I see the importance of good cameras, mocrophones and overall direction of videos and I hate those newbies who enter the market the way I did, telling people that they just need a voiceover and animation (which is usually outsourced to Phillipines or Bangladesh).

Either way, you mentioned "content" and "content" marketing is where the money is.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Apr 24, 2014 at 5:11:41 am

Yup, absolutely swamped. I'm to the point where I've had to hire temporary help on a few projects. Unfortunately, of course, none of them care as much about my business as I do. So that solution only works after i find some good people, and they then want me to train them to compete with me :). So my prices are now going up.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]