FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossI need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:12:56 pm

I really need to start getting some critiques on the videos I'm making. I'm an in-house photographer/videographer at an apparel wholesaler. I do a lot of videos for internal use, but I'm beginning to do more for the public/end user to see. I started here as a still photographer, but like many others, I'm doing a lot of video work now.

Is this the right place to post finished work to get feedback from you guys?

I'm not fishing for compliments or anything, I just really need some professional advice on how these are turning out. There's really nobody else I work with who can give me any kind of useful, technical review of the finished work. Though, since they're all 'outsiders', anything they are able to give me isn't tainted with the 'why' of wether or not they like it.

Anyway, here are a couple of links I'd love for you all to check out. Let me know what you think.

Recruiting Video (Jan/'13)

District Branding Video (May/'13)

Thanks, Everybody!

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:12:41 pm

I really like the photography. Call me old-fashioned, but I've never heard of this company and have no idea what it makes or sells. To me, the biggest problem with the video is that after watching it, I STILL have no idea what it makes or sells, just that people are happy to make or sell something there. :-) For people like, me, we'd appreciate ten or twenty seconds up front to explain that tiny fact, to put the rest of the videos in some kind of perspective.

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:36:53 pm

Thanks for the review. And yeah, we're a little hard to figure out.

We're a wholesaler who's products will usually make 2-3 more stops before it gets to the end user. We really operate in the background.

Both videos appear in a context that would answer most questions. The recruiting video is on our Careers page and has lots of info on what we do, and the District video is on the District site, making it very apparent that it's a clothing company. I just wanted to present them out of context so as to get a review solely based on the videos.

http://www.sanmar.com/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi

http://www.districtclothing.com/

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:50:56 pm

I think a video's stronger if it can stand on it's own without relying on a "context". It should explain itself.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 6:01:53 pm

So far I just watched the recruiting video and overall, I think it has a nice look and feel. I like the blown out, high key look. Good work! There does seem to be some jello-ing going on in the image. I'm not sure if it is an artifact of camera jiggling or of an autofocus lens, but it was a bit distracting to me.

In my opinion, you have too many wide shots and not enough close-up, detail shots. When I shoot, I try to get a wide shot of the action, then go in for a close-up of hands doing something, or some other interesting detail or action. If you are shooting in 1080 and delivering in 720, then you can do virtual focal length changes in post. It definitely adds interest to interviews and makes editing much easier.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: I need feedback on some projects, is this the right forum for that?
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:00:28 pm

Thanks for the great feedback, guys. (sorry about the late reply) I'm glad you guys seem to like the photography. This was one of the first videos we've done with DSLR instead of video. I really, really like shooting with DSLR.

Having a video be able to stand on it's own is a good thing to keep in my mental checklist. Sometimes I have to decide what's absolutely essential, and 20sec can be a very long time on the interwebs.

In the recruiting video, really it's about the working environment. The client (owner/HR) had 3 things they wanted touched in the video, (they added a 4th at the final review!), none of them were "what" is SanMar. But I can definitely see, as an uninitiated viewer, that the lack of company knowledge could be a little distracting, or even off putting. I might see if I can come up with a 1-2 line explanation that I can make sure get's in to these.

I totally agree on mixing in some tight shots. While the recruiting video was in production we had an additional position on my team who was sort of art directing the shoot. He liked the wider shots. If I were to do it again (which I will very soon), I'd like to have a second camera shooting some tighter shots and some of-axis, camera-aware type shots.

Ugh, and the jellovision! I was using a steady cam for the first time and then tried to use the warp stabilizer (had just upgraded to CS6). Not good. I wanted to go back and replace all that stuff with the original clips but just didn't get a chance. That's probably my least favorite part of the video as it just looks amateur.

For the District BTS video, I really tried to show clothing and some labeling to give the viewer an idea that this is a clothing company. Originally the client asked me to shoot abstractly, lots of colors and textures, and to avoid shooting the talent as much as possible. Then, of course, at first review they were all "Where are all the pretty people?". You know how that goes. I think if it was a little more like the classic fashion shoot BTS video that it would be easier to understand. Maybe if I'd had a shot with somebody getting product ready, or maybe even some discussions over layouts it would be more clear what's going on.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]