FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Buffer? Is that the right word.?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike McCormackVideo Buffer? Is that the right word.?
by on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:37:45 am

I'm not sure how far over my head I am trying to do this but here's the plan. This is how Church services are becoming these days. If this isn't the correct forum, please point me to the proper one.

The main performance has the current music and bands and is pretty loud. The older generation does not appreciate that style so a second service is set up for them in a second hall. They have their own music performances timed approximately the same as the main hall. The "Message" from the speaker is the same for both so historically the second hall tech crew watches the main hall performance through a Tivo and they pause the feed when the sermon starts. Then they signal the musicians in the second hall that they are ready to present the speaker. Then hit play on the Tivo and off they go.

I have 2 video feeds from a main building where the performance is going on, one for the stage camera and another for the Powerpoint-Like slide show. The video feed from the stage is from a Sony Video mixer and is SDI. The slide show is HDMI. The Tivo solution is problematic since the SDI signal has to be converted to RF for the Tivo input and there are artifacts that really show up on the projectors.

My big idea - that I know is technically possible - is to buy/build a box that can capture the SDI and HDMI feeds (or whatever format those need to be converted to) in real time, sync the 2 feeds so that they can play at will. I dont need a tuner or TV guide, I don't need to archive or save the video nor to I want to stream it outside the building, this is entirely local. I thinks its called "time shifting". (cute).

This needs to be simple to use since it will be used by volunteers. Its gotta be simple.

I am looking for ideas to pull this off, free, not free, professional, home built. I am open to all.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Video Buffer? Is that the right word.?
by on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:06:35 pm

I get what you're asking for, but I doubt it will be any cheaper or easier.
You may also want to ask this question in the Live and Stage forum.

I would have stayed with the tiro?DVR option myself, but there are computer-based recording and playback solutions out there. One that comes to mind is made by BlackMagic Design (an ironic brand name to help you make Worship videos, I know). Their Ultrastudio 4k might work for you. or just set up a used mac pro with the blackmagic Intensity capture device and use their free Media Express application for your capture and playback. Look into these, and maybe it will help you better define the hardware/software you want to get.

Return to posts index

Mike McCormackRe: Video Buffer? Is that the right word.?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 12:03:41 am

I will contact Blackmagic shortly. Is there a proper name for the device I am looking for ? They have a bunch of options but nothing is defined specifically as what i am looking for. At one time I thought I understood the terms better than I do now so I'm playing catchup. All the new guys want HD for everything ( they don't understand bandwidth ) and they control their budgets. So they want what the the sales guys sold them and I have to fix all the other pieces. [/rant]

I found one a couple years ago before the Tivo and have been looking for it since to use as an example, but it was $14k so I slowly shrunk back into my corner defeated. The Tivo can probably work again but he gave up trying so it has fallen to me. This is the opportunity to fix this for good and I'm gonna jump at it.

I would prefer a solution that doesn't have to be tied to a Mac. I have enough arguments about those. Linux would negate that argument before it starts.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Video Buffer? Is that the right word.?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:20:43 am

Look over their ultrastudio and the Intensity pro. They might have a version of the capture software for PC, but I don't know about that for sure.

Basically you're looking for a DVR, digital video recorder - with time-shifting playback abilities.

You might also want to look at some products from Newtek: they're about to make some new product announcements, but their Tricaster product has the ability to live-switch between various cameras and other sources like the powerpoints off the laptop and such... it comes with a DVR as well as a streaming video server.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Video Buffer? Is that the right word.?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:07:42 pm

Might want to take a look at Vidblaster, a software live switching studio with time-shifting playback capabilities built in.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Creative Cloud
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved