FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to privately distribute internal training videos across the US

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Bayless
How to privately distribute internal training videos across the US
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:03:03 pm

I got a good one for you guys :). How would you privately distribute hundreds of training videos throughout several branches across the US, and so that only approved people have access to different groups of videos?

Let me back up and give some background. I'm looking to figure out a way for our employees to have easy access to the training videos we make, but, for example, I wouldn't want a receptionist in an office to be able to see office administration training videos. On the other hand, I would want office administration to be able to see the office administration training videos as well as the average level office training videos.

Vimeo Pro looks like the best option to me, but I was hoping to get other opinions. With Vimeo Pro, you can create different groups of videos (portfolios) that act like separate domains and you can set different passwords for each. It's only costs $200 a year for every 50 gigs of data you use, and you have unlimited views on the Vimeo website. It would be kinda annoying to change the passwords for each group every month or two, but that's not too bad.

I tried looking at a bunch of other options like Youtube, Daily Motion Cloud, Amazon, Brightcove, but nothing else seemed to fit the bill as well as Vimeo. It would be nice to have more control, like to be able to add users and define which videos each user can see, or to be able to see stats on a city/ regional/ state basis, but those aren't a necessity.

Any recommendations for another website or a better idea?

Thanks!

Nathan

Return to posts index

Ron Hershey
Re: How to privately distribute internal training videos w/ a hierarchy
on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:18:00 pm

Hi Nathan,

I have a great idea! We have a product/service called e-Delivery that allows you to make electronic distributions of a variety of content (video, audio, interactive, PDF, EPUB, etc.) and it can be played/viewed on Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphones/tablets and Apple iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch). You can assign Digital Rights Management (DRM) to each item and for video you can even allow Windows PC users to burn 1 or multiple copy protected DVDs. There are several different levels of the product and with the Gold Level you can create private distribution groups, create subscriptions, have different sections or products that are visible only to specific people, etc., etc.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss it further!

Ron Hershey
Endeavor Digital, Inc.
Digital Content Management Solutions
717-685-4030
ronh@endeavordigital.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Bayless
on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:10:25 pm

Hey Ron! Thank you for replying so quickly. I do want to discuss your service more with you. I'm going to look into your service and I'll send you an email with a bunch of questions tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks again!

Nathan

Return to posts index

Ron Hershey
on Aug 9, 2013 at 5:30:57 pm

Nathan - I'll look forward to hearing from you with questions, etc.

Ron Hershey
Endeavor Digital, Inc.
Digital Content Management Solutions
717-685-4030
ronh@endeavordigital.com

Return to posts index

Zach Mershon
Re: How to privately distribute internal training videos across the US
on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:21:04 pm

These guys have a platform that does all of exactly what you're describing. Not sure of pricing, but might be worth it to contact them.

http://www.multimediaplus.com/empowerpeople/

Return to posts index

Nathan Bayless
on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:12:18 pm

Awesome, thanks Zach! I'll be sure to check them out.

Nathan

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:27:16 am

Just a note of caution...

Many services that will "look" like full scale server operations may be just websites running a sales front end and acting as a middleman for a sub-contracted server operation. Ask potential vendors if they run their own video capable servers. And if so, where. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker if they sub that out - but if so, you need to know exactly what they will provide you beyond just acting as the middleman between the hosting company and your customers.

A bunch of front end code to enable content access (and a payment gateway - there's ALWAYS a payment gateway!) is not particularly rare or difficult to execute - and there are template packages that do that - so it's important to know before you sign contracts exactly what your vendor is responsible for providing.

If you sign up a large retail operation for training videos - you do NOT want to find out that the system is down because the middleman found a better deal on a new server farm and in in the process of re-locating all your assets to a different firms new servers.

Also, ask about their flexible capacity. Don't know what type of training you're providing - but if, for example, you're working with a 1000 store chain, and they regular schedule associate training time at 8am on Monday - you might have BIG traffic spikes at that time every week - falling to hardly any bandwidth use for the next 6 days. You don't want a system that can't flex to accommodate those big surges.

Also get references from whoever you're looking at and follow up on them. Building fancy websites that make small operations look big is easier today than ever.

Just some general notes of caution from a guy who did a whole lot of large corporation training video content creation in my time.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 12, 2013 at 2:57:52 pm

This also sounds like something that would be right up the alley of Amazon's cloud services, and they already have the structures in place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]