FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which type of jib should I rent?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingWhich type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:38:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a gig coming up in Irvine California creating a video similar to this one:

We want to incorporate some cool sweeping shots using a jib, and I was wondering what kind would be the best to rent for this kind of thing?

We will be shooting on DSLR's, audio will be recorded later in the form of a voice over.

We don't need a ton of movement....movement will be more subtle.

We were thinking of using a company such as borrowlenses, but if anyone knows anywhere better, or local to Irvine California please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49:04 pm

A jib may be overkill: I think what you might want to ask for is what they call a slider, that attaches to a tripod, and gives jib-like moves but without the curves.

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 4:03:39 pm

I am very familiar with a slider, but I don't believe a slider would be enough would it?

What about the up and down movements?

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:37:08 pm

The only 2 shots that tilt are at :17 & 1:19. The perspective doesn't change; I'd guess it was shot 4K and simply a digital move.

Steve

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:27:04 am

What you actually want to rent if you want nice smooth jib shots is a jib OPERATOR.

They will know the right tool. And they'll be able to properly set it up and operate it.

Manual jibs are simpler. But the best moves come from a combination of a jib arm and a properly mounted remote pan/tilt head. The combination lets you both move the camera position while simultaneously keeping accurate framing during the jib's arc of motion.

And like many other complex operations, practice makes perfect.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:14:59 am

Do you have a recommendation on where to find jib operators?

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:56:44 pm

The only 2 shots that tilt are at :17 & 1:19. The perspective doesn't change; I'd guess it was shot 4K and simply a digital move.

I agree with Steve, looks like a move on a still.
The rest is just tilting from a tripod.

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Which type of jib should I rent?
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:12:17 pm

If you're still considering renting, you might want to think about maybe purchasing a Kessler Pocket Jib Traveler. It will more than likely fit your needs, and purchasing will probably cost less than a jib rental, especially if an operator comes with it.

Most professional jib operators that we've hired use equipment like the larger Cam Mates, and have a hard time configuring them for DSLR's.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * CS6.x Creative Cloud
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]