FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing video with PowerPoint content in post

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Little
Syncing video with PowerPoint content in post
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:14:55 pm

Hi! I am shooting some internal videos for my company. The shoot will be a talking head on a green screen along with content from a PowerPoint added in next to their head in post (possibly the actual slide... possibly titles). These speakers typically use the bullet points as framework for their talks and they don't typically just read the slide. Where this sometimes becomes a challenge in post is matching the right slide (or title content) with what is being talked about. These talks can run an hour to 1.5 hrs.

I currently only have one camera to work with. I was thinking that I would do an over the shoulder shot to pick up the laptop they are running off of for reference if I had a second, but I have to make do.

Do you know any tricks or techniques that would make marrying the video content with the written content easier? I hate trying to guess where to put stuff.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Syncing video with PowerPoint content in post
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:58:10 pm

Well, for under a hundred bucks you can get a scan converter to chain to the VGA output of the powerpoint source, and tuner-less DVD recorders are around $70 at Walmart. Run an extra audio line to the DVD recorder from the mic or the camera, ...and now you have an isolated recording of just the slides, with the audio of the guy who's clicking thru them as your guide track. use MPEG STREAMCLIP to ingest that as a track you can lay into your timeline, quick and easy, faster than real-time digitizing of a second camera tape for sure...

When adding the PPT slides to a video, I like to export them as TGA or TIF files for higher quality.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:47:25 pm

Or, just go wide enough on your single camera shot to see both the presenter and enough of the presentation screen so that you can tell which slide is showing.

Then in your NLE, crop and resize the presenter shot to taste - and replace everything else with the full slide.

No extra gear or processes necessary.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:46:09 pm

It's a clever idea but I wouldn't take the quality hit on my speaker footage doing it that way. The speaker is actually the most vital thing to capture in these things, because you can always get the slides again later.

I use a hybrid technique when shooting these things single-camera: I expose and focus for the speaker, then at key moments when they are repeating themselves or just taking a pause, I snap-zoom to get the slide screen for just a split second, then snap back to the podium. In post, the frame or two of the slide can be freeze-framed and stretched to cover, or just used as a marker for replacing with a tif file from the stack later. You have maximum flexibility this way.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:28:47 pm

It sounds like the speaker is sitting facing the camera in the studio and the laptop is facing the speaker, the BACK of the laptop is facing the camera.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:31:15 pm

That is correct. I guess I could attach another monitor that faces the camera.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:37:52 pm

I would setup a second cam, even a cheap palm-corder, aimed at the screen for reference only and then insert the PPT files in the edit.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:11:49 pm

This is what I do and it works very well. I then just lay down markers for the slide transitions and use that to trigger slides exported as images. It's actually a pretty fast way of doing it, and you don't end up with several gigabytes of still powerpoint slides.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:38:28 pm

I've been producing these sort of presentations for 6 years now, and it all boils down to two choices, you either have a second camera to record the slide timing or you are going to have to guess.

Here's a sample of what I produce almost every week of the year...

SMH HIV Rounds June 4th, 2013

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:48:09 pm

Yep, very similar to the kind of thing I am doing. Looks like I am going to need some gear!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:29:07 pm

What are you using to make those, Guy; MS producer, or something els?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 17, 2013 at 10:03:11 pm

I use lots of different apps, but the final work is done in AuthorGen's AuthorPoint software which is a pain in the *ss because it's so buggy. ( I know how to work around the bugs, but god help anyone starting brand new with it )

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00:26 am

I ask because it is kind of cool for a viewer to be able to switch views between the outline, speaker, and slides.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 18, 2013 at 1:12:52 am

The problem is that the video is formatted for small size, so it doesn't look very good when it's not sitting up in the top left corner of the screen.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13:39 am

Prior to adding a 2nd camera, you could also consider marking timecode in the video at slide changes.

Camtasia is a beautiful program for creating the finished product.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * CS6.x Creative Cloud
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:19:11 pm

Mike. I've got a solution for this. Contact me via my email address and I'll happily pass on the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]