FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anderson BlackLaptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:04:28 pm

I'm considering buying a laptop for editing on the road as I've had a few travels lately and might be doing more soon. I'm just thinking through every angle just to make sure I'm making the right decision.

In this case I'm thinking about portability and ease of movement.
For those that have 17inch laptops do you have a bag that fits your laptop and external harddrive or you have a separate case for your external harddrive.

Would it make better sense to spend more money and buy a laptop with dual internal hard drives (say SSD for boot drive + HDD) that way you can edit off the 2nd HDD internal drive and not have to carry around an external harddrive.

From your experience what setup/accessories has made your life easier when editing on the road in light of all the equipment you have to carry.
thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 3, 2013 at 5:50:37 pm

I used to carry an external Sata drive to plug in to my 17" Macbook Pro, but I ended up pulling out the DVD drive and replacing it with a 7200rpm 750GB hard drive. I find it very convenient to have two drives in my laptop; an SSD for the system and a hard disk for media/projects. If money were no object, I would have put in a large SSD as the secondary drive, but the HDD works well and is fast enough for my needs. I rarely miss the DVD drive.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Anderson BlackRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:23:47 pm

Thanks for the response. As I'm thinking through this I feel like carrying around an external harddrive will be cumbersome as it has some good weight to it (the Gtech or Lacie drives optimized for editing).

I like your style. I'll be leaning more toward that. I'm looking into a HP Elitebook 8770w that comes with a 180 SSD + 500 HDD + DVD writer.

Return to posts index

Barry BishopRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57:33 pm

I did the travel thing with a 17in and hated it. Often times I would be editing on the plane and it was very painful to carry. I would suggest picking up a 15in retina, and use the USB3 ports, carry two drives and call it a day. Thats what im doing now.

Barry
Associate Web Producer/ Video Editor

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:31:29 am

Here's another thought - take a look at the Lenovo W510 (actually now supplanted by the W520. I have one, and the design is just incredible - everything is user swappable, from the keyboard (which has drains on the bottom in case of a spill), to the DVD drive, which with the press of two buttons swaps out and gives you space for a second hard drive, using their Ultrabay hard drive adapter. My older model is a dual core I7, with 16GB of RAM, the fastest (at the time) NVidia notebook card, and lots of practical features. Here are the specs on it:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=PD015362#exp

I've got the CS5.5 Master Collection on it, and it runs like a champ.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Anderson BlackRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22:36 am

Thanks for the feedback Barry. I can imagine the size/weight might get tiresome after a while. What drives do you use? I'm yet to see an external drive optimized for video editing that's lightweight. I typically use the Gtech gdrive or Lacie d2 quadra. If you carry two editing external drives they must be light?

Joseph thanks for that intel. I was actually looking into the w530 as well. Great specs on those laptops. Looks like a great 15"...

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Laptop Editors... Gear/Accessories for easier movement/Internal or External hardrive editing
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 7:59:14 pm

MacBook Pro w/ Final Cut Pro X.
Western Digital Passport 2TB Firewire 800 external drive
2 Segate Free Agent 750 Gig Firewire 800 external drives

Field Disk Images get archived to the WD Drive along with what I'm currently working with.

The Segate drives each hold backup copies of all the Events and Projects I've ever done - without the media which is maintained in Sparse Bundles back in the office.

When I go on the road, I copy only the disk images of the programs I'll likely be working on.

Bottom line. I have three copies of all the critical data for everything I've ever edited in X. All one three small portable drives that fit in my laptop carry on.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2013 at 9:39:33 am

Thanks for all those that helped me out with this topic.

UPDATE: After testing out the 15" & 17" I decided to go with the 17". Yes it might seem big for some folks but I'm well above average height so this fits me perfectly.

I went with the AVID approved HP Elitebook 8770w. I've edited a major project on it and it's smooth as butter and solid as a rock. It has a SSD for the OS and a separate HDD for editing. I'm now learning I can also swap out the DVD drive for another HDD/SDD. It has some weight to it but I'm ok with that. I'm happy with my purchase...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]