FORUMS: list search recent posts

can anyone estimates how much does it cost to produce a video like this?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shan Pengcan anyone estimates how much does it cost to produce a video like this?
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:03:29 pm

thanks you so much

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: can anyone estimates how much does it cost to produce a video like this?
by on Apr 25, 2013 at 1:31:25 pm

No...I can't estimate it for you, because costing it out depends on where you are, who you're hiring, and whether the video is going to "exactly the same", or "close to", in terms of production values, number of animations, actors, and many other variables.

What I do in a case such as this is roll through the existing piece (reference piece), and cost it out. I create an Excel spreadsheet, and create a separate block for the number of shots and their length, with notes for location/talent/props/lighting, and other elements which would effect the cost of creating it.

Then I create a separate block for graphics, color correction, sound sweetening, and other elements on the post side. This will give me a very close estimate as to what will be involved for time in days, even down to hours, if you have experience planning shoots.
I also tell the client that I can only give them a rough estimate of the project (parameters, for example, between 15,000 and 20,000) unless they have a script and shot list done. Sometime even a rough outline from the client will get me close.

Another way to cost it out would be to simply take the finished runtime of the video, and multiply that a cost you come up with for a running minute finished. So say, with time, crew, talent, post, props, audio sweetening, color-correction and everything rolled in, you come up with 8,000 dollars per running minute, just multiply it out, and then generally add 15 to 25 percent for contingencies (extra talent, travel, more locations, etc.).

There is no one way to do it, and every project is its' own unique quote, so you owe it to yourself to get as close as you can via the first method above, since the second method is really just a "guesstimate".

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Scott GoodingRe: can anyone estimates how much does it cost to produce a video like this?
by on May 10, 2013 at 3:49:40 pm

They're are a lot of contingencies. If you would like to know, I could tell you.

Return to posts index

Peter FitzGeraldRe: can anyone estimates how much does it cost to produce a video like this?
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 6:58:09 pm

Both Joe & Scott are correct, how long is a lump of string? If you were a fortune 500 and had no script/concept/idea and you hire a "Full Service" production company in New York to could cost $55K+(or a LOT more).

If you were a film school student and wanted to JUST COPY that video, assuming you had the sets, talent, a skilled friend with a DSLR and a second skilled friend with Adobe After Effects, Talent and 1-2 crew (everyone working for free) it could all be done in a week for $200-400 worth of Pizza & beer.

Here is my best guess at answering your question
2 Days script storyboard (1-2 people x 8hrs)
2 Nights Shoot (Talent + 2-3 people x 6hrs) + any gear hire
2-3 Days After Effects (1 person x 16-24hrs)
2-3 Video edit (1 person x 16-24hrs)
+ Most likely
1 Days After adjustments (1 person x 8hrs) OR MORE
1 Video edit adjustments (1 person x 8hrs) OR MORE
+ Producer/Director for 2 weeks
+ Producer/Business overhead (Office/Gear)
+ Sales commission

* No allowances made for real world (extra shooting/edit etc)
** how many times you struggle with the client/script revision cycle
IE I know I signed off on the storyboard but my wife doesn't
like the colour of his shirt

What that adds up to will depend totally on
- local costs wherever you are,
- what you're market/client will bear
- and how many of the above tasks you can do yourself

I don't know if that's what your after ~ Peter

Peter FitzGerald,
Cost effective, creative and engaging video production for small business

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>