FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD video projection

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Barraza
HD video projection
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24:45 pm

Hi there, Im am cutting a 30 min film that will be projected to a audience in a event. I am planning on creating a ProRess file and from the laptop mac computer send it to a HD projector. Can anybody input on the best practices and software to play the file without the PLAY,STOP FF, WW controls on screen at the start.

Thanks,

filmmaking-editing-dop-dad

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: HD video projection
on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:55:44 pm

Simply save the file to a Mac running PlaybackPro. PlaybackPro is available online for about $400. Gives you control over geometry and video settings. We do this all the time to a BMD Atem switcher and on to HiDef projectors. Note: it will still look very good on other that true HD projectors. When we have that situation we send to the projector via HD/SDI and then convert with BMD converters to analog RGB. Results are stunning.

Playing off a dvd is not an acceptable alternative. Not only do you have a downconverted video (if not BlueRay the dvd is SD), but those pesky transport controls show up on the screen.

Another software package some use is ProPresenter. I think it is about the same price. Very popular with churches.

Regards

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Diego Barraza
on Apr 6, 2013 at 2:34:36 pm

Thanks Jim for the input,appreciated, for this project the money is on the low side of things, it is a piece for a show with a string quartet with about 200 people in the audience. So the budget does not allow me to dish out the 400 for Playback Pro, I have only heard good things about this software. Someone commented on using Keynote, never used it myself but if it is anything like powerpoint with video I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

For now I'm considering Mlplayer, again does pesky transport controls will be onscreen for about 5sec and I don't think I can bear it and it is very basic but will play well ProRes files. It will only be one HD file with Audio/Video but I would like some basic fade in to cue the piece in the other monitor/projector.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:10:41 am

what about using your video output and playing it back from the timeline in premiere or FCP? Macbook pro can set the HDMI output to be used for video out from premiere and you could cue it with space bar press and add fades in/out on the timeline. You then might need to purchase a HDMI splitter so that when the film finishes you can have another media source to cut to (holding screen).

This is as low budget a suggestion I would make - otherwise, why not hire in some dataton watchout dongles and use one slave PC/mac for playback while your mac controls the timeline playback? In the UK you should be able to hire a dongle for £80 per day (you would need 2)

Return to posts index

Diego Barraza
on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:15:42 am

Thanks Tom, the video out from FCP sounds like a clever and practical solution for me, might just try that. It is so obvious that I had not thought of it myself.
I had never heard of Dataton, they look like a great pro solution for decent budget events. I am getting a Matrox dual head to cover more space with the projection, I am starting to look at the projector hire side of things for the event now.

Cheers!.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 16, 2013 at 1:16:24 pm

No problem. Dataton products are really good, and are constantly improving. They also allow full 7.1 sound output which we've cleverly used to do live language translations via infra-red headsets in the past. You can also have live video inputs - both HD and SD. The playback relies on a local network so you can set up a small wireless one, or run cat5/6 cables between your slave and master machines. Running multiple slave machines is easy, and you can add them together on a single projection screen with the inbuilt edge blending to have a large projection screen at very high resolution (higher than 4k). Cutting up your projects in AE first and then rendering out quadrants helps get round this.

The only issue is the cost of purchase which at £1400+VAT in the UK is expensive per dongle (they are also very easy for someone to steal on an event due to their small size and that they look just like a USB stick).

We've used Matrox triplehead2go a few times for events. The only issue comes with switching inputs, but if you can buy a decent vision mixer/HDMI splitter, it is easy to get round.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]