FORUMS: list search recent posts

Europe France Video Wall NTSC and PAL question

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul GattusoEurope France Video Wall NTSC and PAL question
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:16:40 pm

I'm working on setting up a 3 monitor video wall for a trade show in France. We will be purchasing all the display equipment, monitors, computer etc. As well as editing the video.

Since we are working in the US, shipping equipment to France I'm concerned with PAL v NTSC issues.

All of the existing video is shot at 1280x720, 29.97 FPS.

So, our plan is:
-Set up a Macbook Pro with a Matrox TripleHead2Go display port.
-Produce One Quicktime file in After Effects at 3840x720 resolution.
-and use the Matrox to split the image to the three plasma monitors (I don't have the specs for monitors yet)
-test this set up here....ship it to France for set up and use.

So, I have the usual questions on this workflow.
-What issues/problems are there in using this US equipment in France and other PAL/Seacam countries?
-Anybody have any experience with this MAtrox device?
-Would it be better to transcode my video to 25fps, or does the player or monitor do that OR does it matter?
-Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Europe France Video Wall NTSC and PAL question
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:56:00 pm

Hi Paul,

We've done exactly the same thing; the fps of uour delivery shouldn't make a difference. If you are using QuickTime to play the file back it won't matter what frames per second the files are as long as the monitors you have chosen are capable.

Some NEC and Samsung monitors with thin bezels have in built video wall software that just requires one hdmi, DVI or VGA input.

In past experience of installing video walls on trade stands, especially in France, it's worth checking with the stand contractor that the supporting walls are strong enough and that the power being supplied is suitable.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:58:36 pm

If the file has to play 24/7 and the atmosphere is dusty/damp/challenging, I can also recommend using Brightsign media players. They can be networked together with the correct model (2220 I think) and will synchronise. They play from SD cards and can output via hdmi or VGA. This would just mean you had to split the film into 3 1280x720 files (and would allow you to space and scale the videos to allow for the bezel distance between each monitor...)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:26:41 pm

Was this what you wanted to know Paul?

Return to posts index

Paul GattusoRe: Europe France Video Wall NTSC and PAL question
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:13:16 pm

Yes, Tom, thanks for the advice. I think we're going to go with the Matrox Triplehead2go device. I was also concerned with US vrs. European, 50/cycle power. We're buying the MAtrox and the Macbook to play the videos here and the monitors will be bought in France. Any issues there that you can see?
BTW the monitors will be 55" Samsung LEDs. (HDMI inputs)

Again, thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

charles meadowsRe: Europe France Video Wall NTSC and PAL question
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:12:23 pm

You'll have no issues with your monitors. They're all made to play anywhere and except different power.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]