FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthyFlip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:39:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a client who wants to create a series of videos. We are shooting in front of a green screen, and the background will be a combination of virtual studio and a power point slide show captured via Screen Flow/Camtasia. The talent wants to be able to see the PPT in the prompter so that he can advance the slides, and builds as he talks. We will also be recording this with the screen capture software.
So, how can I "flip" the image in the prompter so that it shows correctly to the talent?

I can "flip" the screen capture back to the "right" way in post, so that is not an issue. In case anyone is wondering, out prompter is a pretty standard version; LCD screen on the bottom, and 45 degree two way mirror. We use Prompt Dog regularly, but I do not have any idea how to get a regular program to display in reverse. Is there any software that will do this?

Not sure if it matters, but we are on Macs.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:39:38 pm

You could export all the slides to photoshop and run a batch action to flip them. Then save the slides back to a new ppt show. I used to do that, for this exact kind of thing you're doing. It's cheap to do, but a pain every time you need to make a fast change.

The permanent answer for us was buying a specific scan converter to attach to the video output of the laptop. What I got was a Hall Research SC-VGA-2B model scan converter, does this specific job. Shop around because I found several scan converters out there that look identical to this one but have a different brand name on the case and cost more. They might just be re-braneded Halls.

The device also makes it handy to use the prompter for skype video work where the skyper is looking into the camera lens and making superior eye contact.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthyRe: Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:24:18 pm

Yeah, I figured this was the painful option! Thanks for the info on the VGA adapter I am going to look into that and probably go with that option going forward.
Unfortunately the slides have multiple motion builds, not yet sure how to handle these.
Thanks again,
Eric

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:47:03 pm

Then don't use powerpoint: make it in video, throw it on the timeline, reverse it, burn to a DVD. Make each slide one chapter, so advancing chapters on the DVD remote works like the powerpoint controls.

like the photoshop method, this front-loads you with more prep work and makes last minute changes harder. But it costs zero. or more precisely, it costs a blank DVD-R and a $30 player from the corner drugstore.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthyRe: Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:03:03 pm

Hmm. That is an interesting approach. Unfortunately the purpose of using the PPTs is to leverage the large collection of material that is already built, otherwise I would have just built all this (graphics) in a seperate TL and triggered the motion myself.
The client is very comfortable in presentation settings, and goes unscripted, using PPT as a sort of cue card. So the idea is too retain that PPT UI/UX.
Today we are going to see if he can just do it in reverse, and order the video converter.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Eric

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47:29 pm

Before you order the converter be certain it has the screen reversing features, both vertical and horizontal.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

David WilsonRe: Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:36:49 am

Yes i think you can buy a convert which is useful for you. I hope your problem is solved with this converter.

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Flip screen image to use Power Point with a prompter
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 9:01:40 pm

Just a quick thought....

There are some very nice autocue systems available that rely on an iPad for prompt use. The app is called iprompt pro. You could quite easily create a PowerPoint presentation, display via the iPad with easy and quick updates and allow the presenter to advance the show....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]