FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex SmithSolutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:47:38 pm

Greetings folks!

I'm looking for a good way to capture annotations made to ppt slides and graphics. I'm seeing this more and more in online learning modules. I'm hoping for a non-time intensive (not motion graphics/AE) solution. We currently have wacomm tablets that output DVI which work well for live presentations but I'd like to find a good way to capture those annotations as a video file that I could import in my timeline. Maybe there is a device that will output HDMI video? Or maybe there is a much better or simpler solution? This what an old schooler like myself would call the JON MADDEN tele-strator effect :)

As always thanks for helpful advice and suggestions!

Alex

HP xw8600
Dual Xeon 3.2
G-tech es
CS6
Matrox MX02 with MAX
Nvidia Quadro 4000

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:19:47 pm

Some of the more advanced screen recording apps have some of this functionality. Have you tried looking at those?

Back when I had a Pinnacle Alladin, I could use that to do the exact Madden thing, by keying it's tablet-driven output over the live switched video, recording both to tape. Alas, that marvel of tech has finally been retired here. But you should be able to replicate the effect live, by running a wacom tablet to a laptop running some drawing app of your choice, where the app is running in black and white, then feeding the laptop's video output into a simple switcher's luma keyer and overlaying that on live video.

There used to be a tool for college coaches to do Madden-type annotations in real time on playing video files, but it was highly customized, and I haven't heard anything more about that in many years.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:42:26 pm

IIRC, there's a PC Package called Fingerworks that does exactly this. Touchpad annotation over PowerPoint. Never used it so don't have an opinion about it. But maybe worth a look?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:36:42 pm

Not sure if any of these are what you require, but both are rather old (read: have not been updated) and freeware. Both seem to install and work on my Win7 64-bit laptop though -

1. VideoMage Producer - home page perpetually "under construction", but can be downloaded from -
http://download.cnet.com/VideoMage-Producer/3000-13631_4-10391366.html

2. The Overlay Maker - more for maps and still pix underneath I guess
http://www.alistairdickie.com/overlay/

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Alex SmithRe: Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:55:06 am

Tanks for this and the other replies. I will do some experimenting and report back.

I think running screen capture software on the Tablet/pc might work although I'm not sure how camtasia or other software will deal with the full screen/screen show mode in PPT.

Anyone else have something simple they are using?

Alex

HP xw8600
Dual Xeon 3.2
G-tech es
CS6
Matrox MX02 with MAX
Nvidia Quadro 4000

Return to posts index

charles meadowsRe: Solutions for capturing Annotated slides and graphics? (computer telestrator)
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:59:08 pm

We've used Camtasia to record full HD screen capture, no problem.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]