FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio drapes/curtain seams in post

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Little
Studio drapes/curtain seams in post
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:52:15 pm

Hi! I have been directed to set up a small studio at my work. The use will be mostly for "talking head" interviews and such. Seated.

To add some versatility to the space, and since I can't paint it, we were thinking of getting some theatrical drapes that could hang in the background. Green, black and white. The vendor I found has a system that will attached to reinforced drop ceiling grid... which I have.

My question is this, I have two fabric choices... one thin poly muslin and the other a thicker “PD Cloth” or "Cyc Cloth." I like the thicker stuff better, but it will have seams, the thinner won't.

Would seams be a big issue in post if I am keying? Should I just go with the thinner stuff?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Studio drapes/curtain seams in post
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:28:25 pm

We've been using green screens from EEFX for years, and have never had a problem with seams.

While no substitute for proper lighting techniques and the overall condition of the green screen, keying software had gotten a lot better in the past few years, and much more forgiving.

Also, one of the best green screen techniques to learn is the "Super-Tight Junk Mattes" tutorial found here on the COW.

-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:41:38 pm

Steve is correct. Also, with the right flat lighting and depth of field control, even the black and white cloth seams wouldn't really show.

You may not need it today, but later you will be glad you got some extra green cloth to lay on the floor and join tot he hanging part, to get a full-body shot. Right now, i use painted paper on a roll for the floor piece, it's disposable.

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:08:28 pm

Thanks for your input! And, the "Super-Tight Junk Mattes" tutorial is awesome!

Return to posts index

Colin Bonzey
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:35:24 pm

Hi Mike,

We do a lot of corporate studio work and while you could go with curtains, if you're only doing interviews, I'd highly recommend using rolls of paper. If you get a green (for chroma key), white (for white seamless or adding color washes with lights and gels), and black you'll have a few different looks. They're relatively inexpensive so you could really put any colors you want there.

I'd get something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686129-REG/Interfit_INT312_Wall_Mount... or just use C stands with grip gear (what I use because I have them).

-Colin Bonzey

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:54:21 pm

That is a great suggestion, and totally on the wish list. The decision to use curtains/drapes is a mixture of form and function. You could boil it down to the fact that the boss thinks they are cool and makes the studio look more professional. I am the one in the trenches, so to speak, so I will be using what ever works. Rolls of paper will be used, with out a doubt.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:04:40 pm

Just FYI...

Paper rolls are great. But...

curtains can do double duty. They provide backdrops AND they provide significant sound dampening if used properly.

Visual people often don't "think" in sound - but it's often the hardest part of what we do.

Just a bit of advice.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:11:35 pm

Adding to Bill's insight...

I've used both, and paper rolls are adequate for situations with little wear and tear. If you want to full full-body-length shots with paper rolls, a 50-footer has two, *maybe* three shoots in it, if the actor's shoes don't tear up the paper too badly and you're miserly with unrolling it. Then you get another 50-70--dollar roll. Paper rolls are light so you can travel with them, but they also are easier to damage in transport. Tears, crinkles, or stains or water damage are fatal with paper.

if you're only ever going to use it for passport-photo-type sit-down bust shots, paper will last a long time.

If you need flexibility, ruggedness... cloth or vinyl.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]