FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deborah McFarlinAfter Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:08:58 pm

I'm a newbie working in AE CS4. The footage I'm using are QuickTime clips in 1280x720, 23.976 fps, 1.00 PAR. The footage and JPEG images used in the project look fine when rendered in the Render Que at: Best settings, Full resolution, Lossless - QuickTime, H.264 compression at 1280x720, 23.98 fps, square pixels BUT the text and vector graphics look jagged. The PAR correction button is turned on. What's wrong? I've done several trial and error renders but when I view video from DVD on my 40" widescreen (16:9) TV the text and vector graphics look jagged or bitmapped. The final output is for a 36" widescreen TV,(16:9). Unfortunately, I don't have that actual TV for testing. Thanks! Deb

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 12, 2013 at 4:41:46 pm

If you are outputting for TV (you don't say what country you're in), but let's assume it's NTSC, then you need to output in fields. For NTSC, it's most likely lower field first. There may also be a problem occuring when you convert from the original clip format to your output format. That could be causing field hash, which would show up worst where the contrast is highest - your graphics. You don't say whether the graphics were part of the original clip, or if you created them from scratch in AE. That could make a difference.

And if you're outputting for a standard DVD, as opposed to BluRay, then your master file should be 720x480, which will letterbox your clip. Any or all of these issues could be contributing to the aliasing you're seeing.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:52:03 pm

Don't render out of AE using .h264
choose a high quality mastering codec to render to. This will improve image quality.

Chris

Return to posts index

Deborah McFarlinRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:27:53 pm

I rendered using Media Encoder and I still have jagged edges. All the text was created in AE using the text tool. The fonts are not jagged or bitmapped in the comp window only on render. I think it is the DVD player being SD not HD that is the culprit. I'm trying to decide whether to get a laptop and playback the video on it - it looks good on the computer screen OR get an HD DVD player for playback on the TV. It's a company project so funds are a concern. Likewise, since it is a public display, even with stuff bolted down, theft of equipment is a concern. Suggestions?

Did you mean keep the 1280x720 dimensions on your previous post? Another suggestion is to use a standard definition DVD player and reduce the size of the comp to 720x480.

Return to posts index

Deborah McFarlinRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:02:42 pm

Yes, it is NTSC output and I created all the text in AE using the text tool. The vector graphics were created in Illustrator.

I was rendering progressive so I'll try rendering with lower fields first as you suggested.

In terms of playing back on a TV with a DVD player, is it easy to loop the video playback with a DVD player? One user suggested I should just use a laptop and keep the current format (1280x720) - the video looks fine on the computer screen - and loop the video using Windows Media Player or Quick Time player since looping is a playback option. What do you think is the best quality option and cost efficient option? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:10:11 pm

The 720p digital file will look better then the heavily compressed SD DVD.

Chris

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:47:11 pm

If I render for SD DVD player at 720x480 what PAR do I need to use in AE before rendering in Media Encoder? Also if comps are nested in AE, do I have to change to PAR in all the nested comps or will creating a new "master" comp with those dimensions and a new PAR make everything conform?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:07:22 pm

To preserve a step in compression, I would launch AME, import the AE comp. Render straight to mpeg2 DVD. Adjust data rate for best quality to fit the disc. Don't go above 7mb.

Alt. If a digital file is an option, your 1280x720 (720P) movie will look better playing off the hard drive.

Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: After Effects CS4 - Rendered Text and Vector Graphics are Jagged
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 2:19:46 pm

You're right to be concerned about theft of equipment. My suggestion would be to buy the cheapest DVD player you can find - the transports are all the same until you get into the really expensive stuff. No one will want to steal a $49. DVD player, and player off a laptop is a dicey proposition - you'll run into glitches, battery saving shutdowns, sleeping issues, and all sorts of things you don't want to happen.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]