FORUMS: list search recent posts

Master Video File Formats - What are you using for codecs?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen McCurry
Master Video File Formats - What are you using for codecs?
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:23:25 pm

What codecs and file formats are you using to deliver "Master Video Files" to clients?

I would like to see what others are using for corporate videos and start a discussion on this topic.

I often deliver H264 files so the client can upload to YouTube, but I always include Quicktime ProRes and Quicktime Avid DNxHD files so the client has a Master Video File for future use. I do this even if they tell me their intended delivery method is ONLY YouTube. This sometimes confuses the client as they can't often play these files on their systems without downloading the codecs.

I have often been asked to edit an existing project for a corporate client, who does not have what I would consider master quality files. Unfortunately the corporate clients don't always know to ask their video production company to deliver to them master files. It can be a lot of extra work to add on to existing projects when all you have is a DVD, ripped YouTube file, or H264 low bitrate encodes to start with.

If you we going to edit and add on to an existing corporate project, what type of Master Video Files would you hope that the previous video editor delivered to the client? (If you could not get the full Premiere, FCP, or AVID project files. Master files only)

Stephen McCurry

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Master Video File Formats - What are you using for codecs?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 4:14:43 pm

[Stephen McCurry]
If you we going to edit and add on to an existing corporate project, what type of Master Video Files would you hope that the previous video editor delivered to the client? (If you could not get the full Premiere, FCP, or AVID project files. Master files only)

With good luck I have called who ever made the original and asked them to give me the RAW files and most the time they have provided them. I have had other productions companies call me asking for the RAW files and I have made it as easy as I can for them. If I could only have it in one codec I would pick ProRes 422 (HQ).

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Master Video File Formats - What are you using for codecs?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 4:47:12 pm

I am a Windows based editor ( Sony Vegas Pro ), so I would be looking for one of two formats:

AVID DNxHD 10-bit 4:2:2

Cineform 10-bit 4:2:2

...As both of these formats are editable on BOTH Windows and Mac platforms using the same binary files, where Apple ProRes is READ-ONLY on the Windows side of things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]