FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projecting HD at conventions

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brodie
Projecting HD at conventions
on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:46:17 pm

Hi folks,

I wanted to ask your opinion on what encoding formats and data rates you use for presenting video at corporate events. They are generally playing the 3 to 6 minute clips from a MacBook Pro or a recent PC laptop. The projector can handle 720p and 1080p. I just want to make sure the data rate doesn't choke playback at the event. I was thinking of mpeg4 (H264)at 5000mgbs or could I go higher?

I welcome your input.

All the best,

Jim

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Projecting HD at conventions
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:25:07 am

Thats pretty basic standard business projector resolution.

Honestly, you can just use the iPad presets for export and it should look great with the added advantage that the data stream will be light enough not to choke up anything.

If they do need to go PC, then additional testing would be helpful make sure whatever software is doing the playout is happy with Apple's implementation of H-264. Some softare (notably PowerPoint, MAY be unhappy trying to embed Apple's H-264 in something like PowerPoint - so you may want to transcode the video to something very PowerPoint friendly like WMVs depending on the age and capability of the hardware and software in use.

But every Mac including the laptops manufactured in the past few years will spit out iPad video natively without breaking a sweat - and it should look EXCELLENT on a projector featuring that modest a raster.

Also remember your ultimate visual resolution will be limited by the projector - so sources with rasters larger than the projector's setting will just be "dumbed down" at the point of presentation.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:47:22 pm

I think the Mac versus PC question is the biggest issue. If they definitely will be using a PC, I would not send them a H264 codec whether its a .mp4 or .mov. I always send my clients a WMV file if they are using a PC. A recent 10 minute presentation looked great on a client "HD" projector that displayed 720p video. I sent them two files, one was a 720p h264 .mov file at 3,000 kbps and the other was a 720p ProRes file. The ProRes file played great on their Mac even though it was nearly 5GB. The smaller h264 file looked fine too, but there was not a lot of motion or quick camera moves. Testing is always important, so whatever you do, send them a backup file in a codec that will play best on their computer.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:31:36 pm

Thank you for responses. Everything is shot in 1080p. Do you recommend downsizing it in the encodier(Adobe, Squeeze or MpegStreamclip) to 720p? I've even wondered whether it might be better to reduce the 1920x1080 file to 960x540 and then encode to get the optimal file size and eliminate any chance of playback stutter.

I'm quite impressed with how WMVs look these days. I've attached a good article on the best way to integrate video into powerpoint without having to compile and recompress.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291879

In my situation, these will be stand alone clips that will be shown on their own apart from any presentation program like keynote or powerpoint.

I'm just trying to determine what new standards are evolving currently as we make the full transition away from tape and DVD playback at public presentations. Offering a couple of flavours of encoding seems wise considering last minute changes in hardware at the event.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Dec 1, 2012 at 11:08:45 pm

My workflow is to always shoot full raster video (1920x1080) and downsize in Squeeze or Compressor to the dimensions the client can use. (Squeeze 8.5 has a bug syncing audio, so I don't recommend 8.5 right now.) I always check with the client or facility to get the accurate specs on the projector to make sure what pixel dimensions it is capable of. Projectors that say they can project HD are usually NOT full raster, but 1280x720 so I don't see the need to send the client a full raster video. If you can get the make and model of the projector and computer from the institution, hotel or other facility, you can check the pixel dimensions online and send the client a file sized for the projector and at a codec and bitrate that the computer can play easily. I always prefer ProRes to H264 if they have a Mac and will send both and request they test the ProRes and use that if there are no stutters. If they have a PC I always send a 720p WMV files with the bitrate set 3000kbps. If the client doesn't know what computer they'll use, I'll send three files: ProRes, H264 and WMV and charge them accordingly. Of course, they need to understand that the files must be copied to the computer hard drive or flash drive. They cannot be played from a DVD.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; nanoFLASH; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:42:45 pm

Hi David,

Thank you. That is sound advice. It raised another question for me,
what are folks charging for encoded files currently. Are you encoding different flavours of this on a per minute basis?

All the best.

Jim

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:37:23 pm

Hi Jim, I don't know what other producers are doing, but I would guess most charge a flat rate per hour of time whether it's editing or transcoding/compressing. I always work from a ProRes master file and use either Compressor or Squeeze to compress all the formats I think the client will need or request in one session. Even if they don't end up needing one of the formats, it saves time later. I include the rendering/transcoding/compressing as part of the overall editing charge, so based upon the amount of time needed for one session, it's relatively minor, maybe $50 or less of additional cost to the client. The deliverable is really a bigger issue. Most clients don't understand the limitations of putting files on a data DVD, so if I need to send them a flash drive, I'll add the cost of a flash drive to their invoice at cost plus 100%. A lot depends on the client and the relationship of course.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; nanoFLASH; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Dec 4, 2012 at 11:28:47 pm

Hi David, Thank you for sharing that information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]