FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding new corporate video clients

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CareyFinding new corporate video clients
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:51:56 am

I have worked in corporate video production for 16 years. I now have my own production company which was started about 2 ears ago based on my old clients. Most of the clients are gone now (business re-org or they were fired/moved to another department) so I'm starting over. I need your advice: I don't know the best way to contact and market new clients in the current economy and state of professional video production.
Our niche is creating marketing and communications video segments that are based in a very personal documentary style. My talent and the talents of the production teams I work with are strongest in finding the core story and crafting it to connect with the heart and head. I've got some good things to put into a new reel. From script to screen including the option of original music.
The thing I don't know is how to find the decision maker and get them to look at us as a resource. Is it still about cold calling or is some unique packaging delivered to them more effective? Cold contact via email seems to be a waste of time. Is there another more effective way to use email?
What do you think and what do you suggest? Are there any associations or business development forums you have found that address this question?
Thank you in advance for any direction you might share.

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Finding new corporate video clients
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:08:51 am

Search through this and the business and marketing forum and read pretty much everything that Bob Zelin has written.

There isn't an easy way of winning corporate clients - sometimes it is being in the right place at the right time, others come through months and months of phone calls, emails, flyers, targeted video approaches and direct meetings.

A quick suggestion is;

Go through your local business directory. Find out the names of the heads of marketing, heads of sales, heads of internal comms etc. Spend a few days writing a checklist of things that you can sell your business with; some targeted to their firm in a very specific way (you will need to research them and their clients), others that are generic offerings that will bring you business (limited price offerings, quality offerings, experience etc). Use this checklist like a script and trust your business when you are speaking to them. Don't hesitate in selling the virtues of what you do, but NEVER run down another AV firm in trying to win work.

Whilst doing this, work on your website and its google ranking, use linkedin and facebook and twitter as much as possible.

Return to posts index

David CareyRe: Finding new corporate video clients
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:30:49 pm

Thanks Tom. Great suggestions. I'll check out all the Zelin posts.

Return to posts index

Roger Van DuynRe: Finding new corporate video clients
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:45:47 pm

In general, people prefer to do business with someone that they know, like, and trust will do a good job for them.

Next in order of preference is doing business with someone recommended by someone else that they know, like, and trust their opinion that the person or firm recommended will do a good job for them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved