FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best software to integrate screen capture and HD video?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Best software to integrate screen capture and HD video?
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:07:48 pm

Hi,
One of my clients is interested in self-producing a series of short educational videos that incorporate power-point presentations with direct to camera HD video (AVCHD from a Vixia HFS 21), picture in picture style. We tried working with Screenflow, but found that the resulting video was pretty low-res. I have heard good things about Camtasia for Mac 2, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this software. Ideally, he would like to record video, and power-point presentations al in real time (at the same time), and then edit it later (as opposed to recording the power point separate from the direct to cam).
Finally, we would love to keep everything in an HD format, and at least 24 or 30 fps.

Thanks for any help.

HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

Roderick Lavallee
Re: Best software to integrate screen capture and HD video?
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:10:29 pm

I've worked with Camtasia, Snag-it and Adobe Captivate (v2 through the most recent CS6).

Camtasia was one of the first to do this well. It inserts captions signalling screen events, making sequencing in your final edit much easier. Snag-it is less expensive, and accordingly does not have as many bells as whistles, but it's AVI output is far better than the cost belies.

Captivate is really one the best out there for doing high-end educational content. There's nothing you can't do with it, but there's more of a learning curve. Also in that mix is a tool called Lectora, which is equally powerful but it's UI is not as intuitive.

From what you were describing you are looking to have the HD video embedded within the educational piece, not having the PPTs or other content within the HD video, correct?

Another plus for Captivate is the ease of ingesting PPTs, and adapting them to the timeline. Captivate also exports to many formats including HTML5.

You have a lot to consider, and there are other variables to consider when choosing your tool, which I'd need more info for to help you discern the best one for your project.

Hope this helps a little.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18:49 am

Thanks Roderick,

I am proficient in AE, and Premiere Pro in CS5, so I would assume that I could assimilate to the Captivate interface. I haven't checked that out yet. I was kind of looking at Snapz Pro to capture the PPT (in native .mov at 29.97 fps), feeding that through a teleprompter with an HVX200 behind it. This way, he is speaking DTC while triggering the PPT slides (actually looking at Prezi to replace PPT). In post, I will edit in FCP or similar, but we want to get the "real-time" DTC footage on the screen with the presentation. Edits won't be in the screen capture software, but I want SCS that will capture at a high resolution.
Thanks for the advice, I will look into Captivate right now!
-Eric

HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:05:05 am

Screenflow is what you want----http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:18:54 am

Thank you for the suggestion. We started with Screenflow... very disappointed with the results. Low frame rate, image is poor on output. Limited supported camera / mic options.
Looking for something with high frame rate / HD output, then exporting to NLE.
Thanks though,
Eric

So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:36:20 am

Hmm- that hasn't been my experience at all. My suggestion would be to record the video to an HD format in camera separately and use Screenflow alone to capture the screen. That's precisely what I do with all of my tutorial videos-

http://www.callboxlive.com/collections/callbox

Noah

Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:28:10 pm

I've had very good results from Camtasia - the learning curve was short, and I was able to capture very high quality (1920 x 1080) screens using client software installed on my own system. What I really like about Camtasia is that you can choose to setup a "camera" in the software, which, when you turn it on, will follow your mouse cursor movements, zooming and panning on the relevant content. It saves a lot of time. There are also graphic insert boxes which can be added, animated arrows and highlights, quite a toolkit for post-production of the captures. I produce my voice-overs, import them to my system, then play back the V/O while I do the Camtasia capture - with this workflow, and a bit of rehearsal, my screen captures match the V/O perfectly.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Oct 12, 2012 at 6:14:57 pm

Yes (to Joe), and yes (to Noah). After a little digging, todays plan is to run through the material three times, feeding the PPT through the prompter so talent can trigger slides and still be DTC. PPT will be captured once each using Camtasia for Mac (2.2), Screenflow (3), and Snapz Pro (I read a good review on another forum). The video (green screen wide) will be captured via HVX200. I will be exporting the various screen capture versions to best available format for FCP ingest (probably a .mov), then laying the PPT footage to the DTC "real time" video which will be 720p30.

The original idea was brought to me by the client, who thought that he could capture both at the same time, on his own time, all to the Screenflow interface, and then have me edit the existing files within Screenflow to save time. SF didn't like being overloaded, and performed poorly on the video capture.

Honestly, I am not so much worried about the capture of the rather basic PPT slides we are currently running, but we are discussing changing to Prezi, and that program can produce very dynamic presentations, so the screen capture will have to be good; no dropped frames, speedy FPS, etc.

I appreciate ALL the input, and will let you know how the results turn out. Also, (@ Roderick) I am going to look into a CS6 option over the weekend. Ultimately this is my preferred method, but it would have to be something that the client could perform the initial capture on, so their is resistance to any steep learning curve.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:29:09 pm

Also just as an aside- I only show myself on camera at the same time with screen capturing only when it's totally necessary. If I'm just narrating slides or going through an in-depth workflow- I find it much more effective to shoot those as completely separate segments. I mean who wants to see me sitting at a computer screen vs. just hearing my voice going through the info with on camera intros and outros on a nice set instead. And it's a lot easier to manage and edit as well.

Noah

Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:56:38 am

I'm with Noah on that call. Unless a talking head adds something to the content, it's useless (unless it's used as an ego boost for a client).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Gomersall
on Nov 10, 2012 at 5:18:39 am

If you are working on macs. Quicktime player does a stellar job of screen capture. The H264 files it generates need to be transcoded to whatever format your other footage is in (Most NLEs hate H264!) but after that, it's great. I just did a gig like that yesterday. Worked wonderfully! And Quicktime Player is on your mac now....free!

Kind regards,
Chris Gomersall
http://www.upstairsmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]