FORUMS: list search recent posts

has youtube changed the corporate video ?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan earlyhas youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 12:59:34 am

I've been wondering about this for a while, has the traditional corporate video changed because of youtube ?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 4:49:09 pm

Yes, IMO YouTube enables the production and release of much more really BAD product. Its a combination of people thinking that poor technical quality is the new aesthetic because it seems more "authentic", and the fact that too many new practitioners are just unskilled and while doing their best, their product looks like cr@p.

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:34:49 pm

On the other hand I personally get a huge use out of Vimeo Pro for private client screenings/editorial review. Saves a boatload on DVDs/FedEx and the clients are blown away by how well it plays on multiple devices, etc.

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:24:25 am

Same experience here Re: Vimeo for clients.

You can fight the new reality - or you can adapt to it.

But you can't ignore that the video distribution planets are re-aligning.

Quality will rise - because it always follows the eyeballs. And the web is where the eyeballs are migrating.

Heck, I could see the pilot for NBC's Revolution on-line days before it had it's debut on the network.

Eight million pairs of eyeballs BEFORE the first broadcast.

Thats a pretty powerful change.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

ryan earlyRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:38:54 am

I think a lot of people outside of video production get taken in by "online video marketing experts" who tell them low quality content is better because it's more real. My argument is that people who say this are people who are only capable of producing low quality content so they justify it by saying it's what the market wants.

I'm interested to know what other people are producing for Youtube though, whether the medium of youtube and online content in general is changing the style of video used for corporate - will the traditional corporate video be replaced by the webcam and a mouse click to share on youtube because it's more real?

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 11:36:22 pm

Depends on the client. For some a webcam clicked over to YouTube is more than enough. But it's kinda dubious that same client would be in a position to contract for high quality corporate video anyways. The cream always rises to the top, if nothing else it gives a lot of good examples of what not to do. :)

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:05:58 pm

For the corporate videos I have worked on YouTube is just another way to get people to see the video. However we are defiantly making a lot less DVDs since it is easier and cheaper to "distribute" the product over the web. What I think has changed corporate video is the drop in equipment price to make them. For us this is a good thing. For example, the drop in Color Grading software prices have made our images look much better and has allowed me to do thing that I could have never done 5 years ago. As the years go by I feel my projects just look better then the previous ones. I'm excited about what YouTube has to offer and I'm glad they changed how YouTube channels look in March. I'm really enjoying our Corporate YouTube Channel.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: has #youtube changed the corporate #video ?
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:08:14 pm

Youtube - we can't live with it and we can't live without it. It didn't start cheap amateur video for the masses, that was done by all those cheap digital video cameras and editing software that eventually also found its way in corporate and broadcast video. Maybe the story telling style of corporate videos have changed, but not likely to be because of Youtube.

However, it did offer an easy to access platform for sharing all those millions of hours of home made footage and as the voyeurist in all humans, we started watching all (or just a tiny bit) of all that footage.

Professional marketeers soon caught on as they realised that Youtube is one of the, if not the biggest, search engine of all times - hence why we can't live without it.

So for the professional video maker, where does the money come from in a world of free video?

Keep on giving it away, it is the only way Youtube users knows how to watch video. Either earn your money from brands and corporates that needs exposure, and want to have something that communicates their quality of brand better, than your amateur video look.

Or produce a programme that will bring enough advertising in as a source of revenue for Google to pay you for the effort - it is likely that you need a million views plus, before making a profit. An interesting observation is that Youtube (Google) recently are starting to reach out with cash for programme makers to use. But is this and your advert funded videos, actually is close to the amount of money Google makes? As in that if Google takes 95% of the revenue, the good producers will seek to pendle their goods elsewhere with networks that appreciates them more.

Vimeo has been mentioned. But both Lovefilm (Amazon), iTunes and Netflix are getting very aggressive and will increasingly be using their rental numbers to know what programming to produce to keep viewers using their platforms. Once the likes of HBO, SKY, Tesco and Wallmart etners this game, then the true value battle of the viewer
will begin - which is that (lousy or not) content will always remain the king.

Just my 5p :-)

All the Best

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid

Return to posts index

Eddie JustoRe: has youtube changed the corporate video ?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:40:16 am

Absolutely, corporate videos can now be produced by anyone with a camera and free editing system. The problem is that the poor content that most amateurs are producing will sooner or later be more damaging then beneficial!

Benefits and advantages of corporate video production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved