FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I use an iPad to run a real teleprompter?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Can I use an iPad to run a real teleprompter?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:03:32 pm

So I have a teleprompter, a real one, not just a mirror for an iPad. But I need to borrow a second MacBook every time I set it up. My MacBook is already being used during shoots for monitoring and recording.

I'm working in house in a corporate environment and finding that second laptop is very challenging with all the paperwork and pleading. Plus, I have to reinstall the prompting software each time as IT will wipe the computer every time they get it back.

I do have access to an iPad though. We have it for our dept to use all the time, so if I could run the prompter with that it would save me a bunch of time and space.

Is there any real prompting software that I can run on the iPad and power the prompter with?

Thanks.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Can I use an iPad to run a real teleprompter?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:15:33 pm

Give details on the "real" prompter unit. What make and model, what kind of inputs, and so forth. I may have an idea.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:23:43 pm

It's the Prompter People Flex Series prompter with the VGA and Composite inputs.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:50:03 pm

OK, for the 2010 model ipads at least, Apple made a VGA output cable. If you don't have one, buy one. You can attach this to your prompter, and run some apple-flavored prompting software of your choice on the ipad. You will also want a VGA extension cable to give you a little working room for positioning. Try monoprice for cheap, good cables. Let us know how it goes.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:51:55 pm

Do you have any suggestions for a piece of software? Do you know if any with a screen flip?

I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:35:11 pm

Meet me half-way on doing the homework, Corbin, and google something up on your own that works in the iOS, then tell us what you found... green?

Prompt dog was a freeware mac based prompter for mac laptops but no idea if it works for tablets on the iOS.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:16:22 am

I do it pretty regularly.

I use the Teleprompt+ App.

That and an iPad to VGA cable is all you need.

You'll find that there are a lot of "tele prompting" apps designed primarily for desktop camera recording rather than true traditional telepromping. This particular one does the "self camera and audio recording while you read the script" thing as well - but it's just as happy to function in a traditional teleprompting approach.

Write your scripts in whatever. Save as plain text. Use Wifi, Bluetooth or Dropbox to load the script in your iPad via the App.

Then hook up the VGA adaptter. When you launch the App, it "sees" it and asks you if you want to mirror both outputs or just the external source. So you can follow the script on your iPad and prompt via beam-splitter at the same time.

It's pretty solid. Not perfect, but it gives you separate editing and prompting modes and since you can use the touchscreen of the iPad to control rate and "flick-jump" around the script - it works pretty darn well for something so affordable.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:27:00 pm

You know, I just couldn't find an app that would do everything I wanted.

Text editor, smooth scrolling (harder to find than you'd think), prompter monitor flip (so it's correctly oriented in both the prompter and controlling device) and whatever else that I can't think of now.

I wound up being able to borrow a computer fro IT so I'm good for a while. And everybody around here has a laptop, so I'll just make sure that the boss's computer has the software for next time and I should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestions though, guys. I appreciate the help.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:33:58 pm

@ Bill Davis
Wow! Thanks for the tip! I am currently using Prompt Dog to feed a "real" teleprompter via VGA out from a MacBook Pro, but would love to have something that could mount directly to the pedestal tripod we use (it is pretty heavy duty). While I couldn't find a suitable bracket for the MBP, I know of one that will mount an iPad to the tripod perfectly!
I am going to try this app, and will report back soon!
Thanks,
Eric

HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]