FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promotional Video Production

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Ryan-PurcellPromotional Video Production
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 3:22:42 pm

I recently completed a two-year Television Production course and plan to get into promotional videos. My portfolio is on this page https://www.facebook.com/NicholasRyanPurcellProductions

Many Thanks

Nicholas Ryan-Purcell Productions

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Promotional Video Production
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:54:54 pm

Nice. And especially impressive in the variety and scope of projects. Few suggestions, however.

As we have discussed many times over on the Business & Marketing COW, when you're going after a type of business THAT should be the focus of your reel. Flowers are pretty, but don't mean squat to someone wanting a corporate video.

Effective demos don't have to be short, but they do need to make a point very quickly, ie.- within the first minute, because it's easy for a viewer to get board and move on. So sell hard in the first minute then provide longer, more complete pieces either later, or better still, as separate shows in their entirety along with your punchy one minute show piece. (BTW- This is all my opinion, others certainly may have differing ideas.)

Lastly, if you are using a camera with auto-focus, like the Canon XL-2 depicted on your Facebook page, learn to live WITHOUT auto-focus. Especially on the Canon as it is prone to "pump" and can also easily have the wrong part of the shot in focus while the subject is a little soft.

All in all, though, congrats on a strong start. Join us over at the Business COW for ideas on getting and keeping jobs, clients and careers.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:40:36 pm

In my post "board“ should have been "bored." I truly am the King of Typos. (Must come from starting out in radio.)

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Promotional Video Production
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:15:06 pm

Cut out the flowers shots, they are weak compared to some of your other camera work. Also throw out the bits that were not well-lit or have shaky handheld shots. FOllow Nick's good advice, make more, shorter, more specific demos.

Create one overall identity as a production company, then make separate web "homes" for each sub-type of business you do: one for corporate work, one for entertainment stuff, one for commertials, one for news or documentary work, etc. They can all have the same contact number and email address, and you can answer the phone with one greeting, then deal with specific customers as that "division" of your "enterprise".

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:27:43 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Follow Nick's good advice"

But whatever you do DON'T follow Nick's spelling. Remember, he started out in radio where the careless juxtaposition of sound alike words didn't matter.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02:03 pm

Thank you very much for your advice on the showreel and I'm very glad to know about removing the flower shots, the production as a whole and concentrating on the specific videos for each market. Many thanks for the invaluable advice.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:55:42 pm

Thank you very much for your showreel advice on my Facebook page. It is great to know about shots and the overall video. I'm really glad to know and many thanks for this invaluable advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]