FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flourescent continuous-light lighting kits

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roderick LavalleeFlourescent continuous-light lighting kits
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:55:26 pm

Anyone used the flourescent lighting kits that are really nothing more than CFLs packaged in a softbox (i.e. Westcott or others?).

I understand they are not dimmable -- that's OK for the majority of my shoots -- but how is the light from these?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Return to posts index

Bob KnappRe: Flourescent continuous-light lighting kits
by on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:13:57 pm

Yes, I use them. I've had no problem with them and have used them for a few years now. They usually have 4 or 5 bulbs in them all on separate switches so you can shut a few off for a lower light effect. The one real problem is they are fragile. If you have to break them down a lot keep all the boxes and you need to pack everything separately (which takes a little time).

Just make sure you white balance correctly. I wouldn’t use them to light a stage but for interviews/greenscreen they are great.

See What I See Productions

Return to posts index

Mark HalloranRe: Flourescent continuous-light lighting kits
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:53:07 pm

I've found them to be fantastic for interviews, as long as you are using pro-level kits and not the small Wescott "beginner kit." They produce clean, consistent light. But the true advantage is thta you can run them for hours and they remain cool to the touch. If you have ever had to wait 45 minutes for your lights to cool before breaking down, you'll really appreciate this. I spent years burning my fingers, waiting for cooling, and worrying myself sick when shooting around kids before getting these.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved