FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turntable video shoot newbie

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erica BehringerTurntable video shoot newbie
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:07:32 pm

I am wanting to create product 360's similar as to seen towards the end of this video
although the ones I need to create would be against white rather than black.

I'm shooting products that are mostly aluminum (think Mac products) so the reflective surfaces are aplenty not unlike the product they are showing in the above example.

I'm hoping someone could lead me in the best direction to do something like this. I've found turntables online that I can build, but my concern is if I shoot this against white and on a turntable, how do I remove the turntable itself from the shot in post? Would it be easier to use greenscreen and also paint the turntable green? My concern is really just aimed towards something like the end shot where they do an overhead shot of it so they create a "mirror" effect on the surface. Obviously the turntable wouldn't show up in all shots.

I'm open to any suggestions as this is my first go-round with it.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Turntable video shoot newbie
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:04:55 pm

First of all, the stand and Mac in the video are more than likely 3D images, not video. An optimal situation if you are handy with 3D. If you really need to go video, you might want to think the opposite of what you're current thought is - move the camera instead of the subject.

Digital Juice has a wonderful dolly made just for this type of shooting, and you can find many cheaper models on eBay.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Turntable video shoot newbie
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:54:25 pm

Steve's way will work.

If you can get a cheap dolly rental, it will cost out about as much as making a good motorized turntable. If you're going to be doing this a LOT, owning the turntable amkes more sense.

You can put a mirror right on the turntable and get a real reflection as you go....

Think though about the lighting; for a dolly shot, you may require additional lighting, and you get a subtly different effect in how the lighting travels across the product in a turntable shot, versus moving a camera around the product.

Your idea of making the turntable and table and background all greenscreen will also work, but lighting that to keep green spill off of reflective silver surfaces can be tricky. Use large white bounce cards, close-up, to get the specular highlights you need and they can help kill some spill. Don't over-light the green, just light it evenly, it need not glow like neon tubing to key well, in fact, that would be worse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved