FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need camera recommendation for solo ENG shoots

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Spinoza
Need camera recommendation for solo ENG shoots
on Nov 6, 2011 at 3:19:13 pm

Hi Guys,

I know this is a corporate video forum: But since there doesn't seem to be a news/documentary forum, I figure that corporate shooters probably know the cameras best-suited to one-man-band shoots.

I need a rugged camera made for pro use (not home video): It will be used for one-man documentary-style shooting. It needs to be HD, shoot to digital storage (cards not tape), be decent in low-light, and have XLR inputs for audio. The output will be edited in Premiere Pro and Avid News Cutter-- and ONLY going to the Web (not broadcast or tape).

Our price point is <$3,500-- the less, the better. Any insights would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Need camera recommendation for solo ENG shoots
on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:59:57 pm

What a can of worms YOU just opened!

We shoot pretty much exactly what you describe you need to do, and we love Panasonic. We've been using an HMC-150 for 2 years as our 'A-camera', and are looking at an AG-AC130 possibly to relegate the 150 to 'B-camera' status.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 6, 2011 at 11:48:32 pm

YA, The Panny HCM series is the first thing that came to mind after reading the post.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:28:20 am

Yep- AC160 or AC130 depending on whether you need- HD-SDI, Dual 60/50Hz switching, Uncompressed PCM audio, variable frame rates. If you don't need any of those, the 130 is what you want.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:33:22 pm

I have talked to real ENG shooters in the field, I am one, myself, and they really like the JVC-GY-HM700 series. The downside for you is this camera sells at around six grand. You can get a credible ENG camera under ten grand these days. Under 4 grand, well, you're making some compromises. Really, IMO they aren't true ENG cameras, though cash-starved stations are using them that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]