FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selling Raw Footage - Price?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris DolanSelling Raw Footage - Price?
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:29:06 am

This could probably go in any number of forums but since the footage in question is corporate video related, this is probably a good place...

I received a request to sell some raw footage but it's not something I normally do so I don't know where to begin. Those of you who have done/do this regularly - how do you put a number on it? I imagine there are different levels of pricing for royalty free vs. limited usage rights/ etc..

Your input is appreciated!

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Selling Raw Footage - Price?
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 6:26:59 pm

Take a look at Revostock for some ideas.

Also, the amount of work put into acquiring this footage will have a large bearing.

We're you paid to shoot it?
Is it the client asking to buy?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jeff CadgeRe: Selling Raw Footage - Price?
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 2:10:18 am

Prices for stock images have a huge range. Royalty Free stock like Revo which is manufactured and mass marketed solely for stock is priced cheaply. It’s amazing what RF stock companies like Revo can sell their stock for BUT remember to point out to your client that this kind of stock can appear in their competitor’s work or any other production which can have an effect on the originality of their presentation.

With RM stock or rights managed stock one is able to track the existing usage, see if there is a conflict within a certain industry or find out who else is using this stock shot. Clients have also purchased exclusive rights to a stock shot for a high price, where your not giving them a buyout of your work you’re giving them exclusive rights to your image for a period of time.

This all depends on how original or unique your shot is and how much it fits into your client’s marketing plan. If your image is unique and the client really wants it start high you can always negotiate down. If your shot isn’t that original and they can easily find another stock shot or go and hire a shooter you’ll have less bargaining power.

Another important factor when determining a price is what is their usage and for what distribution. For some of our stock shots for corporate or editorial I usually quote $300.00 to $500.00 for limited usage, not unlimited usage. Point out to them this is not a RF image but don’t quote exclusivity for that low.

Also keep in mind the need for talent releases and property releases if you’re claiming to own the rights to the shot.

Good Luck,

Jeff Cadge

Return to posts index

Chris DolanRe: Selling Raw Footage - Price?
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 2:44:08 am

Thanks for the responses!

The footage in question was acquired during production for a proposal to show a prospective client what we can do for them. We have not been paid for this so we hold all rights to the footage. At the moment everything is pointing toward us winning the proposed project but the client said they want to purchase some of the footage for another, unrelated project. The other production house needs this footage because they don't have the time to shoot it, plus it was at a remote site.

I'm somewhat reluctant to sell footage because I don't want the other project to take shots I may use in the yet-to-be-completed paid work for the client, however if the price is right maybe I'll sell some of the clips which I don't anticipate using. I gave them a (huge) ballpark estimate of $100 to $1000 depending on usage rights and number of clips. I suspect they will need restricted rights for one or two-time usage and a limited audience.

Are there any good examples out there of verbiage outlining usage rights which I could put down on paper if/when I sell them the footage?

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Selling Raw Footage - Price?
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:59:47 pm

your day rate is fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved