FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting my first Commercial out of Town. Need advice

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trey Eckles
Shooting my first Commercial out of Town. Need advice
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:13:22 am

I am shooting my first commercial out of town next month. I will be traveling by plane atl to mia. The shoot will be at 2 store locations.

My current equipment is:
1 canon 5dmk2 (video)
50mm 1.4
24-105mm 4L
70-200 2.8L
100 2.8 macro

I also have 2 4x4 kinos, 1 diva lite, 1 CL-655PMD Cool Lights Portable Dimming, and 1 CL-LED600 . But I do not believe I will be able to take my lights. I have never flown before so I really do not know if I should take my lights. Especially my kinos.

I have a $2000 budget. The plan was to use the available light in the store and buy a fast wide angle lens. When I arrive in mia I planned to go to home depot and purchase some flood lights and use if needed. I haVe a few scrims I can put in my luggage. Not sure about that idea.

What would you guys recommend I get with my $2000 budget?

Please note this will be a one man operation. The shoot will consist of an video interview of owner and shooting the store products up close and the store while it is open.

I dont have the treatment for the commercial yet.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shooting my first Commercial out of Town. Need advice
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:48:05 pm

"I don't have the treatment for the commercial yet."

When they find the black box from this production, this will be the place they point to as where it all started to go wrong.

Second, the client has the money to fly you in from Atlanta, but not to pay for shipping your lights? Complete project for two grand including flying to the location? Let me guess; this guy found you on Craig's?

Ok, enough with the heavy hand, my suggestions are:

Back up and get the treatment figured out first, then you work out your budget and schedule from that. This is where you can save you and the client money, and where you can figure out how to do the best job, rather than in post, after flying back with tape that turns out to be unusable.

As far as your lights, I think you really do need to take them along. If the airline charges too much to ship them with you, consider using FedEx or even Greyhound to send them on ahead of you for local pickup. Or maybe scratch the airline ticket, and drive yourself and your gear down there. You'd have to run the numbers to see what's cheaper. Sure, you could rent a car or hire a cab to drive you around town to buy some home depot stuff in Miami when you get there... or... and I'm just spitballing here... you could rent real broadcast type gear locally, and pass the cost on to the client. Miami and surrounds must have plenty of pro video rental places. You can find them by looking up Florida's state film office production guide.

Finally, quoting two grand all-in for such a project seems like a mistake to me. Granted, I don't know the whole story, but this Miami guy could have hired locally for that kind of money. You are under-charging, whatever this thing is.

Return to posts index

Trey Eckles
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:29:38 pm

Thanks. This is my first time so I see that I have under charged. The good thing is that I am not loosing any money. Lesson learned!

I found out last night that it will be shot in a furniture store and I will be shooting the front of the store, inside the store close up of items, probably alot of slider style shots.

I will have to go to a few local furniture stores and see how well lit they are. I think I can get away with using the available light and use a high iso since I have very fast lens.

Where would I send the packages for my lights if I have them sent via fedex? Would I send them to the hotel or the airport?

Thanks again for the info.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:03:25 pm

What about sound gear?

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Trey Eckles
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:15:22 pm

I have a zoom H4N and a rode mic. I am covered for audio. Most of the commercial will be voice over besides a video interview.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:49:27 pm

Airlines Charge heavily for extra bags and for heavy bags. Consider renting lights for $100 or so.

Consider driving ATL - MIA.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:10:05 pm

[Trey Eckles] "Where would I send the packages for my lights if I have them sent via fedex? Would I send them to the hotel or the airport?"

I'm not even going to comment.

Good luck with your shoot. It will be a learning experience.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Trey Eckles
on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:42:17 pm

So why did you comment Steve. Why take the time to even write that statement.

I would only like feedback from people that actually want to give helpful advise, not smart a** useless comments.

Thanks for everyone else that gave me some sound feedback.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:37:30 am

Not sure your shoot has happened yet but here is my input. All of my shoots are a plane ride away.

Rent lights if you are by yourself. Airline baggage handlers and light kits don't mix. You can get a set of kinos or an Arri softvank kit for under $200/day in most big cities.

Plan for the unexpected.

Don't go to Home Depot for anything involving lights. You're not shooting an indie zombie movie in your mom's backyard.

Have a plan and share with your client.

Assume nothing.

Shooting during business hours can be problematic. We once shot 11pm to 3am in a hospital as that was the only quiet time.

I hope your 2 grand is your shoot and travel budget not the whole thing. Ir is this a "free" local cable ad?

Safety first. If running lights and audio in an active business don't forget sandbags and gaffer tape.

Don't cross the streams.

Goid luck.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]