FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to hid Lav mic on women?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Ken
How to hid Lav mic on women?
on Aug 18, 2011 at 10:11:48 pm

What is the best way to place a wireless Lav mic on woman with a dress that does not have pockets or belt? Think of mother of the bride speaking on a stage, where is the best place to hide the receiver?

Thanks a lot for all ideas!

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: How to hid Lav mic on women?
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:46:41 am

Hey Al,

Gaffa tape on the back or attach it to the knickers. If there are none of those around, get a hand held wireless microphone that she can use - Sennheiser has a couple that can work with the same receivers that the lapel mics are using.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:41:46 pm

A trick they use in the theater that has worked for me is to hide the lav behind/just on top of the ear with some medical tape, running the cable under the hair and down the nape of the neck. One nice feature of this setup is that the levels stay consistent no matter where the head turns, and you don't have that obnoxious mic boom on the cheek. Save mic booms for motivational speakers and Time-Life magazine operators; I hate seeing them used on camera or on stage for anything.

If the clothing has no provision for hanging a lav, (poor planning, that) there is always gaffer and medical tape.

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:16:27 pm

Guys,

Those are great responses if we are talking staged, on-set production. Notice that the OP is looking to mic the mother of the bride at a wedding. Good luck on taping a lav behind her ear or getting under her dress to clip and gaff tape the receiver to her undergarments!!

I don't think there IS a place to hide the receiver on the type of dress you describe. A wireless lav is not a good choice then. I think the suggestion of the wireless handheld would be good. If it absolutely has to be a wireless lav, then the lady would have to agree to a little wardrobe rigging. In that case you could consider using a belt pouch that reality shows often use. It's a stretchy belt with a pouch for the receiver that's designed to be worn under clothing. B&H has a variety of them.

Since this is being asked in a Corporate Video forum, that may be why the answers assume some sort of wardrobe control on the videographer's part.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:00:02 pm

Great that my humour hasn't gone unnoticed :-)

[Rob Neidig] "Good luck on taping a lav behind her ear or getting under her dress to clip and gaff tape the receiver to her undergarments!!"

Depending on the length of the dress, you could also strap/gaffa it discretely to the inside of her thigh - mind you, I'm sure that you'll also walk away with a black eye to match ;-)

If the happy can afford the expense, you could also bring a boom operator or wire the mic down from the ceiling.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:39:19 pm

[Al Ken] "What is the best way to place a wireless Lav mic on woman with a dress"

Gee, and here I thought the obvious answer was with great care.
:)

Seriously though, is a adding a podium with a mounted mic out of the question?

Return to posts index

Bob Knapp
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:32:43 pm

Bra Strap center of back under dress or back of dress center with pack on the inside.

Good Luck

See What I See Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:37:31 pm

BTW, I think you mean the TRANSMITTER on the mom, not the Receiver. Or the shoot will become even MORE awkward:-)

You could skip the lav entirely, and put a shotgun mic with a wireless TX on a stand, pointing at the spot where the mom will speak. If this is a wedding reception, there WILL be a sound system already, and either a hardwired hand mic or a wireless handheld mic for things like announcements and toasts and the like. You can just tap into that existing system in some cases. Or if the system forces people to stand in a certain spot to speak, you can add a second mic for your camera there on a stand, and also light the spot for a better shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]